• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Antibiotic jabs - how long??

Poor little Pixe's eyes are running again, the vet said to keep on with the injection antibiotics for a bit longer. My question is how long can a bunny have these jabs for ? She has been having them every three days for the past three weeks now and I'm worring they just aren't working, as well as the stress aspect too, she's pretty scared everytime I get her basked out now. Is there anything else I can ask the vet to try as she said there really is only two types of antibiotic they can use on bunnies, is this true?? She has had tear ducts flushed under ga, xrays taken and nothing wrong with her teeth and is deffinatly not snuffles or anything contagious. She is also having eye drops (can't remember the name but are more watery and contain small amount of steriod) which she really doesn't mind me popping in her eyes. Unfortunatlly she refuses anything with baytrill on it so she has to have the injections. Poor sweethart, she's been through a lot lately so any advice you can give me I'd be really grateful.

The eye drops may be maxitrol?

Re the abx injection, what is it? A penicillin jab? If so, Ginger was on depoccillin injections for about 4 months :wave:

The vet can take a culture of the infection and get it tested to see what antibiotics can work best with it. There are a few penicillan type antibiotics that bunnies can have, My Inca has had Ceporex and I have heard of others having depocillan, I am sure that there are others.

As for the length of time, my Inca has been on daily abx for times up to about 6weeks before.

My dental bunny has been on depocillin injections for over a year now, and oral flagyl daily for about a month. We are trying to get on top of persistent jaw abscess problems and hope that upping the treatment will reverse the recent worsening of his condition. It doesn't bother him at all - either the treatment or the condition. His weight is constant, his quality of life is good, he travels well. We just keep going.

I have another bun that has congenitally deformed tear ducts. One side is permanently blocked so the eye is always a bit damp. If needed, she is treated with eye drops, but I find that the best option for her is her husbun - he looks after the eye for her and keeps it clean.

What is causing the runny eye? Is it just tears or a proper gungy infection? Have the tear ducts been flushed?

Back