• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mr Hudson Would Like to Invite You to Share His Tea

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
He'd like to, but I dont think there will be much left !!

The old man has just tucked into Chicken Casserole Baby Food

Rabbits167-Optimized.jpg

Rabbits168-Optimized.jpg

I am hoping that having a portion of Baby Food a day will help keep some weight on him xx

He'd like to, but I dont think there will be much left !!

The old man has just tucked into Chicken Casserole Baby Food

Rabbits167-Optimized.jpg

Rabbits168-Optimized.jpg

I am hoping that having a portion of Baby Food a day will help keep some weight on him xx

You are one lucky hamster Mr Hudson! i hope you enjoyed yourSunday roast! :love:

I didn't know hammies could eat meat:oops:

Suki has never had any - I just give her mix and some veg.

Mr Hudson looked like he was having a wonderful time in your garden but if I put Suki out she woud escape as she moves so fast - and with eight cats living with me, she would have no chance.

Naww bless him. He's a handsome fellow! Is he still active?

If it helps, Jane, my vet said that egg can be quite fattening for them. Back when my Maggie was ill I often used to give her some poached, scrambled or boiled egg to help get some protein and energy into her. Some creamy full fat yogurt might be an idea for a treat too (as long as its not got nasties in it, I find Rachel's Organics Forbidden Fruits range was good, and of course yummy for me to finish off!).

Naww bless him. He's a handsome fellow! Is he still active?

If it helps, Jane, my vet said that egg can be quite fattening for them. Back when my Maggie was ill I often used to give her some poached, scrambled or boiled egg to help get some protein and energy into her. Some creamy full fat yogurt might be an idea for a treat too (as long as its not got nasties in it, I find Rachel's Organics Forbidden Fruits range was good, and of course yummy for me to finish off!).

Thanks, I'll try him with some scrambled egg. I hope I can remember how to make in using a microwave as that is the only cooking equipment I have :?

Mr H is not that active, he is stiff in his back end. I am taking him to see my Vet this week just to make sure I am doing all I can to make his retirement comfortable. My Vet used to breed Syrian Hamsters before she went to Uni, so she is very Hamster Savvy.

Scrambled egg, milky porridge, a little cooked chicken :wave: He may benefit from a drop of cat metacam once per day if he is a bit arthritic. Our syrian did in his old age. We also used to take ours out onto the lawn but he was a quick little thing so one had to be on the ball! Mr Hudson is delightful and looks VERY happy in his new home! :love:

My old syrian boy was absolutely starving to death (he's a really fussy eater), till I started doing my own food for him twice daily. Here's what he has:

A bowl of grains that have been soaked for a few hours in water prior to him having them: millet, oats, barley, buckwheat, rice
A bowl of nuts and seeds
A small piece of chicken daily, or scrambled egg.

He absolutely tucks into that lot, and is doing really well - even his fur has grown back a bit. :) I think soaking the grains makes a huge difference.

edit: when I say 'a bowl', it's obviously a measured small amount - just in two different bowls! :D

Do hammies need meat?

I'm getting worried now as Suki never has any:(

She has a hamster mix and whatever veg the bunnies and guinea-pig have (but obviously in a much smaller quantity). I don't give her hay either.

Am thinking I may be a dreadful hammy owner now, depriving Suki of something she needs.

Do hammies need meat?

I'm getting worried now as Suki never has any:(

She has a hamster mix and whatever veg the bunnies and guinea-pig have (but obviously in a much smaller quantity). I don't give her hay either.

Am thinking I may be a dreadful hammy owner now, depriving Suki of something she needs.

What hamster mix are you feeding? The good ones actually contain meat anyway, although I've always fed chicken on top.

What hamster mix are you feeding? The good ones actually contain meat anyway, although I've always fed chicken on top.

I feed a mixture - she eats any of them.

I've had hamsters off and on for many years and really thought they were like bunnies - herbivores:oops: or omnivores (confused now).

Maybe I need to get Suki some chicken. Is cooked chicken OK. I don't eat meat and hate the idea of handling the raw stuff :(

I've never given Wilson meat, he is happy, healthy and still going strong at 3 years old. Maybe he would like some, but I wonder if maybe the change in diet could be worse than the lack of meat, especially if there's a small amount in his mixture of mixes anyway? As he's doing well with his current diet I'm reluctant to change it.

You're not a bad hammy owner Rhianna, you're asking about what's best for your little one :thumb:

Millet is high in fat.. or protein, but it can help put fat on. My friend has a budgie who refuses to eat anything but millet and she was telling me how bad it can be because it can make them fat.

Anyway, eggs... whisk, put in a microwaveable pot and put on high for a couple of minutes but stir it with a fork every 30 seconds to a minute and you will have lovely scrambled egg. Well I would put butter and milk in mine.

I feed a mixture - she eats any of them.

I've had hamsters off and on for many years and really thought they were like bunnies - herbivores:oops: or omnivores (confused now).

Maybe I need to get Suki some chicken. Is cooked chicken OK. I don't eat meat and hate the idea of handling the raw stuff :(

Hamsters are omnivores, as are mice and rats. If you really hate meat (it's cooked chicken I feed - you can actually buy frozen ready cooked pieces in Sainsburys), I'd just make sure you've got a mix with a high protein content. The Burgess Supahamster one definitely contains meat. I can't remember which ones do and which don't.

Back