• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please spare some vibes for my old man, Joey - he's gone to the bridge

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
I found him collapsed at lunchtime today in the middle of the shed floor.:cry:

We've been to the vets, but I don't think he's going to pull through this time:cry::cry:

Last edited:
Lots of vibes for Joey.
Don't give up hope yet- buns are like yo-yos- they can go up as quickly as down. I hope that is the case for your little man xx

Thank you :)

I'm not sure how he has gone from running around the garden yesterday and trying to bonk the life out of BB to being so poorly:(

I'd actually sent the vet out to prepare a PTS and asked to be able to spend a bit more time with him first, then when I picked him up I saw he had a really bad head tilt, and asked for the vet to come back in again to discuss whether it would be cruel or not to try treating for EC.

The vet was happy that he's quite peaceful, so he's had steroid and Panacur, and I've syringe fed him when we got home.

The vet said we have to be very guarded as he's so poorly, but its worth seeing if the steroid improves things over the next 24 hrs.

My poor little man:( He's 11 years old and only weighs 710g, so I think he has a huge mountain to climb:cry::cry:

No - ******.... He had some sub cuts, but I had given him Metacam at 12.30, so maybe that's why he didn't?
Which one should he have Jane?

Metacam can be given with abx, but did you tell the Vet he had had Metacam ? The use of a steroid is usually contraindicated if Metacam has already been given, but if in the 'last chance saloon' maybe the Vet felt that there was nothing to lose by risking it.

As for what abx, probably just Baytril initially I would think. But if it were a middle ear infection then a more heavy duty abx is likely to be needed.

Poor Joey :cry:

Metacam can be given with abx, but did you tell the Vet he had had Metacam ? The use of a steroid is usually contraindicated if Metacam has already been given, but if in the 'last chance saloon' maybe the Vet felt that there was nothing to lose by risking it.

As for what abx, probably just Baytril initially I would think. But if it were a middle ear infection then a more heavy duty abx is likely to be needed.

Poor Joey :cry:

Yes he knew about the Metacam, but we decided to risk the steroid as we are "last chance".

Really peeved I've not got the abx for him. I hvaen't got any baytril, but have Septrin and Engemycin, so I'll have to phone in the morning to see which one I should start and what doseage. I might see if I can call them tonight...

Back