• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large litters

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
Ive had a call from a friend about her rabbit that has had a very large litter, its her first litter and there are approx 10 (maybe more)

They were in 2 seperate nests,

I dont have a clue about kits only from the 4 unexpected that we lost last week, can anyone pass on some advice that I can pass on to her?

Thanks

There's a link sitckied in health that might be useful.

10 is a huge letter, and mum is going to go some and probably need some help to have them all survive. This would be one of the time when a couple might be fostered to another mummy.

Having reread I would say leave them in their two nests and be very vigilant. It might be that mum will feed each nest separatedly and may be able to raise them. They have a better chance at beg successful in two nests than one.

Her buns are outside in a shed, she has asked if she should put a heater in the shed to regulate the temp?

Its a 10x8 metal shed, with other buns.

Her buns are outside in a shed, she has asked if she should put a heater in the shed to regulate the temp?

Its a 10x8 metal shed, with other buns.

I would be wary of putting in a heater unless it is especially cold, the buns aren't used to it and if they get too hot they can't get away from it.
I would say your friend needs to supliment the smallest ones to make sure they are getting enough to eat, at least once or twice a day. Thats what we do with triplet lambs, we leave them with mums as that is where they are happiest but give them 3 bottles a day to take the pressure off mum.

Whereabouts are the babies? Normally I would say to someone to attach a snugglesafe to the underside of the hutch so that the nest gets warmth but bunnymummy doesn't overheat. I'm not sure how her setup would go with that suggestion though.

Sounds like they are just in a normal 'hutch' in the bed side.

The day has been warm, but it is cooling down now the suns going down, I have told her to close the doors to try and keep it a bit warmer in there, although with it being metal not sure if that will work?

Should she keep checking on them through the night?

What can she supplement the small ones with if they need it?

I have a KRM from last week, but have since read that you shouldnt use it, so much contradicting information on the web :roll:

The day has been warm, but it is cooling down now the suns going down, I have told her to close the doors to try and keep it a bit warmer in there, although with it being metal not sure if that will work?

I have a KRM from last week, but have since read that you shouldnt use it, so much contradicting information on the web :roll:

You can get milk replacements like cimicat from vets, which are good for bunnies. However, supplementing will only work if the mother is okay with it. If she gets upset with your friend handling the babies she could reject them alltogether, so that would have to be carefully monitored. If she didn't like your friend feeding them, I would leave them with mum and check that they have full tummies and look okay in themselves. If so, leave them be. If not, your friend may have to take away and completely hand rear any hungry ones, which isn't the best situation as there isn't a great survival rate. Make sure mum is getting plenty of food, and give her a little veg rich in calcium to help her milk supply.
With regards to the hutch wamth, if it is going to get cold in there I would put a blanket over the hutch overnight and take it off in the morning.

She only needs to check them every 12 hours or so.

There is nothing that we can produce that rivals mum's milk. Even though people use a variety of things, nothing comes close to mum's milk; no one yet makes a bunny supplement. I would probably not do anytihng until it seems that mum is feeding some of them and watch and see what happens and if any look fed. Milk won't come in until 24hours is anyway.

If they are in a hutch then I would say attach a snugglesafe underneath both the nests, but not IN the hutch.

Thanks for your help, Ill pass the information on, and keep you all updated.

So glad I joined this site, I havent got a clue about kits :lol:

Lisa confirms there were 11 kits, 1 hasnt made the night but the rest have, most have nice round tums, some dont..

Mum has blood in her poo??

Rabbit births are very tidy and she shouldn't still be bleeding. She needs to see a vet today.

The ones that don't have full tums are they all in the same best or us it a mix of the two nests?

All babies are in the same nest now.

The one the didnt make it has bite marks on its tummy?

Ill tell her to take her to the vets.

A little bit of blood inthe toilet is normal for just after the birth. Next day there shouldn't be any. The babies should stay warm if in the nest as mum can pull more fur out if needed. Try giving mumlots of grass and dandelions to help wiith her milk. It must come from a reliable source.

Just read there are other rabbits in the shed - Are they family - if not they mmay kill babies. Nightmare!

I've got a litter of 9 at the moment and mum has managed to feed them all. I have just left her to it. Any little ones that look a bit smaller I popped to the top of the nest in the hopes they would get fed first. It seems to have worked as at 2 and a half weeks we still have them all despite a couple looking really dodgy at one point.

To be totally honest, I havent a clue , she is being very vague with any answers.

And this afternoon she has asked if I can take mum and babies on..... :shock: She cant cope with it, doesn't know what she is going to do with them, and her kids wont leave her alone.

:censored: Mum has said its fine, so long as all are rehomed and none stay, as we already have 7... but will moving them now be too stressful for mum and babies?

Back