• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit licked ivermectin - should I PANIC UD Post 7 another question!!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
After finding mites on four buns here (two with mobility issues, one with general health issues and one for no reason - who we are now worried about) we spent the day water pressure cleang all runs and hutches and using spot treatment ivermectin.

However just found Parley Piert licking at the place we put Charlies ivermectin (ie on Charlies back of neck). Charlie must have disliked it and 'asked' PP to get rid of it by licking it -

(not sure how they do this but have jad other instances where rabbits manage to communicate these needs:roll::roll:).

We had used 5 drops of ivermectin of Charlies skin - not sure how thoroughly PP has licked it all. I know they should not ingest it.

Should I panic????? (all but emergency vet closed)

Last edited:
As far as I know, Ivermectin can also be used orally although it's not done on label. I would want someone to confirm that for me though.

Also, I think if it's dry then it's no problem.

phew!!!!!! sounds like we should be ok.

Was about to go into total panic mode as have heard that it can be overdosed and lead to coma etc . . .

was kind of relying of the fact that this cant be the first time that one bun has licked another buns neck!

Will keep a vey close eye on him though. In fact I will keep a very close eye on all of the buns as we ivermectined all 34.

We immediately gave Parsley Piert a bucket full (literally) of grass and weeds and pellets to sort of mitigate it hopefully . .

Now just to figure out why poor Gooseberry had mites despite not being on our 'rabbits with low grade health issues' list . . . .

Nightmare, so not only do you have a very painful back, 34 rabbits to care for and work to do, you have mites to cope with as well!

((((((((((((hugs))))))))):)))

UPDATE ON PANIC - just realised that Parsley Piert had his own treatment (on his neck) as well as ingesting Charlies!!!!!

Guess I should start panicking again?????

PP had 5 drops ( he is 2.5 kilos) and Charlies had 6 drops (he is 3kilos). Suspect Charlies was a bit dry before PP started on it . . .

HELP!!!

I know it's a bit late but my vet advised keeping buns apart for half an hour after applying the treatment. That gives it enough time to 'dry'. Smoo has licked off Grim's mite treatment when she's had her own on and been fine.

I know it's a bit late but my vet advised keeping buns apart for half an hour after applying the treatment. That gives it enough time to 'dry'. Smoo has licked off Grim's mite treatment when she's had her own on and been fine.

Thanks - will try that next time (have to do this 3 weeks running) its quite difficult keeping them apart from each other - some are in groups of 7 or 8 and we dont have enough seperate places - or time to do one and then isolate for 30 mins then do other and isolate etc etc

but will try hard and think how could do this.

Thanks - will try that next time (have to do this 3 weeks running) its quite difficult keeping them apart from each other - some are in groups of 7 or 8 and we dont have enough seperate places - or time to do one and then isolate for 30 mins then do other and isolate etc etc

but will try hard and think how could do this.

It can be given by SQ Injection

Back