• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Severe sore hocks

breeze

Mama Doe
Adopted ish a extremely large continental giant today,close inspection at home has revieled she's got extremely back sore hocks full of infection.the smell is awful.make try make her as comfortable as possible until the vet sees her Monday.shes really unstable on back legs I imagine due to pain she's in.are they treatable?

The vet will have to have a look at them. I should think she will need a course of anti biotics, pain relief and anti inflammatory. She may need them bandaging. Poor girl :( What have you got her on? Have you got any vet bed she can sit on?

Can you get her to a Vet tonight ?

I suspect the sore hocks are *secondary* to another problem, possibly relating to her spine/hips

She will be in A LOT of pain and if the infection is bad enough to be able to smell it she is at risk of septicaemia :cry: I really dont think this can wait til Monday :cry:

As to whether it is treatable, it will totally depend on the extent of the problem. If the bones and tendons are infected then really the outlook is very bleak :cry:

Please try to get her to a Vet tonight

I agree with Jack's-Jane you should get her to a vet asap. I use sudocream on sore hocks but non of mine have ever had them get to the point they're infected so I don't have experience of that. They will need to be cleaned if they're dirty then kept dry and clean.

Back