• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making an Indoor Dig Box - Advice Please

Cari

Warren Veteran
Hi Guys,

I'm going to make Stephen a little dig box today and was just wondering what people used? I have had advice saying that a plastic storage box would be best and then just filled with hay and newspaper?
Should I superglue the lid on and make a rabbit sized hole or just leave the lid off and let him have free access?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I used a cardboard box with the lid open to make it higher. I cut a hole into the side and filled it with hay and sprinkled pellets and oats in there. Mine was more of a forage box though...

I wouldn't glue the lid on, just rest it on if you want the lid on. Just in case you need ot get him out. ;)

I use a large underbed storage box, with the lid left off. I have filled it with cat litter. It has to be the wood type.
I have to have a tidy up each day as they tend to dig some of it over the top of the box and onto the carpet.

Hello.... thank you!

Jenova - I think a forage box might be better suited for him as he doesn't seem to dig very much, I might have to hunt for a cardboard box somewhere.

Tuckerbunnies - I would use a cat litter box but unfortunately I don't have the money for one, it has to be a cheap and cheerful solution I'm afraid. I spent most of my bunny allowance this month on a little trip to the vets.

Edward - That sounds like what I would like to do, I might try and find one for him, although underbed storage box may be a little big for the amount of space I have.

Last edited:
The best thing would be to mix up hay with dried herbs and things, you could always go and pick some dandelions and other things like bramble or plantain if you know what you're looking for or buy some cheap herbs from the reduced section of the supermarkets. Then you could dry them out in the oven on a very low temperature and mix it all together.

I buy my herbs from reduced section by the way, you can get the 50 p bags for 2 p at the end of the day! And they are good for a couple, even 3 days sometimes... Buns love em and it's lots cheaper than buying them at full price!

If you're looking for a cheap and cheerful solution for your digging box try asking at your local supermarket for the cardboard boxes that bananas etc come in, they'll usually give you a load for free and they're decent quality. Just fill it up with hay and herbs and bob's your uncle, you'll be in the good books for a while :)

:wave:

Brilliant, I currently don't dry my herbs as they come in a mixed salad with spinach and a little lettuce, is it best to buy herbs and dry them or are they ok fresh?

Brilliant, I currently don't dry my herbs as they come in a mixed salad with spinach and a little lettuce, is it best to buy herbs and dry them or are they ok fresh?

Mine get them fresh cos they gobble em up straight away :roll: try mixing them in with the hay, encouraging the buns to forage :) I spose if you dry them out they last longer...

PS I didn't know buns could have lettuce? Thought it gave them a dicky tummy or have I misread that somewhere?

Last edited:
It's iceberg that give them the runs.

I don't dry herbs, but I would if I was going to mix them with hay to stop the hay going damp and so it all lasts longer. They get fed fresh herbs/veg most of the time.

Hi again,

I took your advice Laura, got a box that the cabbages come in as a trial to see whether or not he would like it, the verdict is still out on that one at the minute but he's sniffing it and looks curious so we shall see.
I know too much lettuce can give them the runs, it's not Iceberg lettuce in the mix, it's basically a rocket and herb salad with romaine lettuce and spinach, so hopefully it's not too bad for him, he loves it and his poos are still OK. :)

I've filled the box up with hay, salad and herbs and a few slices of apple to tempt him in, haven't bothered about drying them out this time as I thought I'd see if he'd like it first. :) I think he's too sleepy and relaxed to be particularly enthused at the moment!

Back