• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pebble is so thin

Claire_r

Warren Scout
Hi, as you know Pebble has had a few tummy upsets but now seems to be on the mend thankfully! But now because of the poorly tummy she is very thin and needs to put on weight. Are there any suggestions as to how we can help her get to a good healthy weight ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you :D:wave:

I don't know what her problems were but I've always used porridge to help put on weight. Either just the oats or soaked in water.
Other things like carrot are high in sugar so can help put on weight but if she's had stomach issues they might make things worse due to the high sugar content. Perhaps a good thing would be alfalfa hay which is high in protein.

I have used porridge. Make up with boiling water and then let it cool right down, Homey loved it :love:

This! It kept Eddie's weight normal when nothing else would.

He ate it off the spoon (unless I left the bowl unnatended...then he'd just shove his head in.)

Thank you all :D

She only weighs 600grams poor little thing. She is eating loads of hay and drinking plenty but we are only trying to give her a very small handful of pellets a day just in case it upsets her tummy again. We noticed a couple of days ago that she doesn't seem as sturdy on her back legs and she hasnt really jumped up to the 2nd level of her cage, maybe we are just been over paranoid :?

You could try some pro-fibre pellets as it has pre and pro biotics in. She sounds tiny :love: My smallest is 2.7.

Could you give her some Oxbow Critical Care, that has lots of nutrients in for recovering bunnies too.

She is tiny, can feel her bones and she is half the size of flint but he's just greedy haha like a Hoover ! :love:

I might give that a go, just scared to try things in case it upsets her tummy gain. :(

Pebble Update

She has had to go back to the vets agin this afternoon, her poops have gone back to been tiny and dark again, plus we are abit worried about her legs now as she wont jump on to the 2nd level of the hutch and she doesnt look as sturdy as she used to when running or just walking :cry: i hope they make her better soon.

Back