• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does it take to get over loosing a bun?

PippinWarren

Warren Scout
Just curious, I've not lost one dont worry but just wondered how long people took before they decided to find another bun after loosing one?

I don't think that finding another bun necessarily means that you are over the death of one. Many people find another bun straight away for the sake of their other rabbit.

I had lost Kermit and was still very much grieving when I got Herbie & Inca, but I just seen them on this forum and they needed me so I got them. My house just felt so empty without any bunnies in it. H&I came here less than three months after Kermit died, I knew that I was taking them about a month after he died but I had to wait for them to be neutered and bonded.

Yes I got my kitten far sooner than most people who ever think of after my other kitten died and I certainly wasn't over it but it was the right thing for me

Ruthie xxx

I think it's different for every body , I felt that as my bun was a rescue that he would have wanted me to help some more rabbits out of that situation. I also found that when I lost daisy and still had Oscar, I found it less painful, where as now iv lost Oscar and don't have a rabbit at all, I'm finding grieving much much more painful. I feel as though I'm not complete and whilst rescuing two more rabbits won't stop me grieving or ever fill the hole that each of my rabbits has left, it helps me cope, helps me know I'm doing what Oscar would have wanted and gives me something to look forward to, it gives me something to feel happy about. With out that I don't think id cope at all. But I honestly think that grieveing is completely different for everyone, it affects people differently and different people do different things to help them cope but I think that whatever someone does is right so long as they feel it is right.

I got my boys about a month after I lost my soul bun. I'm not, and will never be, over loosing her. I miss her and think of her every single day. To me, loosing her was like loosing a child. I will never get over it, you just find ways to manage day to day. She was only young and passed really suddenly, which just made it 100 times worse for me. I wasn't in any way expecting to loose her, and it hit me like a brick wall.
She was a lone bun, so for me there was no rush to go out and get another bun/buns. But it gave me something positive to focus on, where before I was just focusing on her loss. In the time between her death and getting the boys I didn't even go in my room. I live at home (skint student!) and for a month I had to get my family to get anything I needed from my room and I slept on the sofa because I just couldn't face going in there. It was just too empty, a reminder of what I had lost.
My boys will never, ever replace my girl. I will never love them in the same way, she was the bun of a lifetime. But they bring joy into my life, and I love them and try to look after them as best I can. She wouldn't have wanted me to be sad, she would have wanted me to help other buns, to give them the same life as she had. Getting the boys was for me, and for her.
RIP Dish, love you forever and always.

i waited about five years between losing my first rabbit patch and getting more rabbits. i was scared i suppose. sadly 8 days after bringing smudge and bisc home, smudge passed away. i will never get over losing them, i think of them everyday.

i have bisc and matt now, and i don't know what i will do when they pass. i really don't think i will cope. :cry:

I didn't wait at all between losing my baby Humphrey at 11 weeks because I knew I had to think about sapphire. Luckily my breeder understood and we were able to collect
Rupert later that day.

I did grieve for Humphrey and it was a bit upsetting having Rupert around to start with but when I saw him bonded with sapphire I knew I had done the right thing for her :)

I still cry when I look at pictures of my 2 I lost the last 8 weeks I've just come to terms that my little smudge needs a friend I no my Dudley wouldn't have wanted her to be left alone that's why she's now my house bunny and loving it I spend all my spare time sat in the bedroom with her just started to move stuff out as it was my sons and he's got his own house now so making it bigger space so hopefully in a few more weeks she can have BARC husbun a small one hehe :love:

I think you can get another pet, whatever type, very soon after losing one, but as others have said, it doesn't mean you are over your loss.
I can still cry when I think of my old dog Zoe and we lost her 4 years ago :cry:
I don't think getting a new pet soon after the loss of one is bad..it is right whenever you feel you can do it.

I too agree that getting another pet doesn't mean you're over the loss. Someone might be, but someone else might not. There are so many different reasons for getting a new animal that to presume it's related to getting over a death is quite upsetting to me, to be honest.

I have so many bunnies here and they are here because of Flash- it honours his memory and keeps him alive to me. I'll never stop grieving for him. I'll also probably never get over the deaths I feel I caused (especially Badger's).

I feel that with every pet I have lost, a little piece of me goes with them.

I think I found it easier to bounce back when I was younger, but as I have go older you really do have a greater appreciation for how precious life is, and the finality of death.

I have pictures of all my lost pets around the house, subtly in small frames, just so that they are always with me. I'll never get over losing any of them, and I find it harder and harder everytime.

My last dog passed over 5 years ago, and that triggered alopecia for me, which I am still dealing with.

I lost Hera at Christmas, and that was the first bun I had lost in nearly 11 years. I don't expect to ever get over losing her at any point.

I think you can get another pet, whatever type, very soon after losing one, but as others have said, it doesn't mean you are over your loss.
I can still cry when I think of my old dog Zoe and we lost her 4 years ago :cry:
I don't think getting a new pet soon after the loss of one is bad..it is right whenever you feel you can do it.

This.
As Jill will confirm, I lost a bunny very very special to me a few weeks ago. I sent her husbun to be rebonded days after her death as for me the thought of him being alone is more upsetting than my grief. I have not stopped grieving, I will never forget or replace her but I wanted to do what was right for Ollie and my situation.
I still cry for lost dogs - that was harder still. Each time your heart breaks, but as long as you know you will never 'replace' lost ones, your heart only grows with each new life you let in....

I agree that getting another pet even very soon after losing one does not mean that you are not grieving. I lost Stripe less than a month before getting Thor and Loki. I found that it wasn't until the night before picking up the new arrivals, when the cage was all ready for them and almost a whole bottle of the pet disinfectant had been thoroughly scrubbed into it and then off of it and then dried and everything was ready. That's when I grieved for him properly. He was a gorgeous bun and I miss him dreadfully. The new guys are very different and they are indoors whereas he was out. But spoiling them rotten has helped me not to feel so guilty over Stripe. He was alone when he died and that hurts.

I don't think I'll ever get over my first rabbit, the rescue bun we got as his wife died a few years before him, so he wasn't the first bun we'd lost, but he was my bunny. And he was the first animal I'd ever felt real responsibility for. And the final heartbreaking choice was mine, I remember explaining to him that we loved him and that we would make it stop hurting then looked up to see my dad in the doorway with the carrier trying not to cry. That was also a very weird vet trip, our normal bunny savvy vet was almost an hour away so we took him to the local awful one to save stress. A bright breezy vet came bounding in smiling and asking how he could help to be confronted with a family sniffling and huddled around a carrier.

I'm almost crying now just writing about it and that was 5 or 6 years ago now. :cry: I had his pic in my purse until about a year ago, and that only changed cos I got a purse which didn't have the pic holder space.

I feel that with every pet I have lost, a little piece of me goes with them.

I think I found it easier to bounce back when I was younger, but as I have go older you really do have a greater appreciation for how precious life is, and the finality of death.

I have pictures of all my lost pets around the house, subtly in small frames, just so that they are always with me. I'll never get over losing any of them, and I find it harder and harder everytime.

My last dog passed over 5 years ago, and that triggered alopecia for me, which I am still dealing with.

I lost Hera at Christmas, and that was the first bun I had lost in nearly 11 years. I don't expect to ever get over losing her at any point.

I feel like this too. Maybe because I am getting old too.

I try not to dwell on the bad memories and think of them with fondness. But a couple of pets who have left me in tragic circumstances, I still get upset about. I still miss each and every one of them.

The only time I have lost a rabbit was my Thumper years and years ago (I was about 12). He was very ill no thanks to my awful ownership and he passed away :cry: I knew he was ill so I sort of accepted it. But I still felt so so so very guilty (and still do) that I didn't learn more about rabbits and take more care of him and my guinea pigs. So for that reason I didn't get any more for a long time.

Then one day, I was 16, my mum brought me home a guinea pig as a surprise. Needless to say I fell in love with the little guy (McMac) and tried my best to learn a little about them. I learnt they liked to be in pairs so I went and bought another male, Momo, a gorgeous pure white peruvian :love: and they got on well apart from the odd scuffle at puberty. And they fact that I had then in a very small cage but I was still learning :oops:
Then 2 years later (in September) Momo suddenly got very ill and had to be PTS. The vets did all they could and were very good but it seemed that he had a growth in his throat or something. Stopping him from eating. It was just one of those things.
McMac is still alone at the moment. I wanted him to have a little time, and myself. But for the past couple of months I have been looking to find him a buddy to spend time with :) Now he has a big C&C cage to share with and everything and I feel it is time :)

I got my boys about a month after I lost my soul bun. I'm not, and will never be, over loosing her. I miss her and think of her every single day. To me, loosing her was like loosing a child. I will never get over it, you just find ways to manage day to day. She was only young and passed really suddenly, which just made it 100 times worse for me. I wasn't in any way expecting to loose her, and it hit me like a brick wall.
She was a lone bun, so for me there was no rush to go out and get another bun/buns. But it gave me something positive to focus on, where before I was just focusing on her loss. In the time between her death and getting the boys I didn't even go in my room. I live at home (skint student!) and for a month I had to get my family to get anything I needed from my room and I slept on the sofa because I just couldn't face going in there. It was just too empty, a reminder of what I had lost.
My boys will never, ever replace my girl. I will never love them in the same way, she was the bun of a lifetime. But they bring joy into my life, and I love them and try to look after them as best I can. She wouldn't have wanted me to be sad, she would have wanted me to help other buns, to give them the same life as she had. Getting the boys was for me, and for her.
RIP Dish, love you forever and always.

:cry: This really hit me, I think Dish is to you what Jims is to me and I couldn't bare to loose him, I think it would destroy me in all honesty!I'm sorry you lost your special girl! Xx

Back