• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Echinacea extract.

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Ive bought this for my snuffly bun Boris but only just realised it contains ethanol/alcohol. Only tiny amounts however. Will this be ok to give him? :oops:

Yes, most tinctures use alcohol, I think its often whisky. The amount contained in the reccommended dose for a human in A.Vogel's Echinaforce is the same as the human body itself creates when it digests a banana or a piece of wholemeal bread - not sure how that translates into rabbits, but basically theres not a lot in there, considering how little you give. It does taste yucky though. Remember not to give human dose.

I use the A Vogel Echinaforce tablets as my two will take them like treats. I believe they have less alcohol too. They taste very plant-like so they like them. Plus I wouldnt want to put anything in my buns water unless I was providing plain water as well, and then its hard to measure how much they get... Plus the only difference is that the tincture gives a faster initial response, the continued long term immune response is the same no matter what you use, its just the tablets take about 4-5 days to have the effect on the immune system, the tincture is 2 day I think.

Ok thanks :wave: I was wondering whether to get it in tablet form or tincture, but ended up going for the latter as I thought it'd be easier to administer. I do understand what you mean about the water though. I was thinking of maybe trying to hide it in treats or something like I put Septrin in banana. Not sure that'd work though. Also not sure how much he should have :? Only a few drops I imagine?

Ok thanks :wave: I was wondering whether to get it in tablet form or tincture, but ended up going for the latter as I thought it'd be easier to administer. I do understand what you mean about the water though. I was thinking of maybe trying to hide it in treats or something like I put Septrin in banana. Not sure that'd work though. Also not sure how much he should have :? Only a few drops I imagine?

Depends on what one you've got and what strength it is. Obviously you want to give less than the human dose. I give a sixth of the reccommended human dose (it says 2 tabs 2-3 times a day, and I give 1 tab a day) but that was just a guess as my vet didnt know. Echinacea is an immune support rather than an immune stimulant though, so at least in humans you cant really OD on it, its just that taking more than reccommended doesnt actually help anymore. You could drink bottles of the stuff and it would do you no more good than if you took the reccommended amount, but apart from the alcohol it wouldnt harm you. Dont know about bunnies but I assume that an small overdose wouldnt hurt them.

When you run out of this one I reccommend the A Vogel, as they use the whole part of the plant that has the benefits, not just the particular isolated ingredient in that bit, its hard to explain but its meant to be better as the plant traditionally helps as a whole, it isnt designed to be processed that much and by using only the 'key' ingredient you can lose those supporting ingredients that help the key one do its job. Its hard to explain sorry.

They may like it, so maybe offer it to them on something. I think its gross but then I also dont like raw coriander, but the buns do!

i fill a shallow saucer with water add 5 pipette drops of echinacea and a few drops of unsweetened apple juice so that i can give metacam without syringe feeding the rabbits mouth directly
I keep this separate to the buns water , and that way i know the buns are getting all their medication dose

(althouogh some on here advise against regular apple juice)

Depends on what one you've got and what strength it is. Obviously you want to give less than the human dose. I give a sixth of the reccommended human dose (it says 2 tabs 2-3 times a day, and I give 1 tab a day) but that was just a guess as my vet didnt know. Echinacea is an immune support rather than an immune stimulant though, so at least in humans you cant really OD on it, its just that taking more than reccommended doesnt actually help anymore. You could drink bottles of the stuff and it would do you no more good than if you took the reccommended amount, but apart from the alcohol it wouldnt harm you. Dont know about bunnies but I assume that an small overdose wouldnt hurt them.

When you run out of this one I reccommend the A Vogel, as they use the whole part of the plant that has the benefits, not just the particular isolated ingredient in that bit, its hard to explain but its meant to be better as the plant traditionally helps as a whole, it isnt designed to be processed that much and by using only the 'key' ingredient you can lose those supporting ingredients that help the key one do its job. Its hard to explain sorry.

They may like it, so maybe offer it to them on something. I think its gross but then I also dont like raw coriander, but the buns do!

Such a helpful post. Can I be a pain and can you send me the link to the one that you have? I went on the website but there's so many options I got confused! Really want to try this out with my snuffle buns!

Really? My Vince actually gets excited when I rustle his vets paper bag with his meds in :lol: He takes it off the syringe no problem. I thought all buns liked this :D

Ooh, thanks for replying everyone! And thanks for the link Hugo's There, I'll check it out!

And no, he wont take Septrin out of the syringe :roll: :lol: Bella will happily lick off any remaining amounts off the plate, but I have to trick Boris into eating it :lol: He's picky! Even I think its super tasty :oops:

Thanks guys. I use these, in tablet form, but tincture will give the same effect just a faster response: http://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/echinacea-echinaforce/

They do another one, the Echinaforce forte, the only differences I can see are the strength (its much stronger) and I think when I was in the shop I was told it had a slightly different composition of ingredients. There isnt a particular reason I dont use this one, its just that it was 3 years ago now that I worked in the health food shop, and this new one wasnt around then, so I'm more comfortable sticking with what I know. Plus I also use the normal ones myself.

Just a note, in humans it is reccommended that they not be taken if the person is on immuno suppressents or has asthma. If someone is on medication they are reccommended to consult their doctor or pharmacist about any possible interactions, this goes for all supplements, so just make sure you clear it with your vet. I dont see why there would be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks guys. I use these, in tablet form, but tincture will give the same effect just a faster response: http://www.avogel.co.uk/herbal-remedies/echinacea-echinaforce/

They do another one, the Echinaforce forte, the only differences I can see are the strength (its much stronger) and I think when I was in the shop I was told it had a slightly different composition of ingredients. There isnt a particular reason I dont use this one, its just that it was 3 years ago now that I worked in the health food shop, and this new one wasnt around then, so I'm more comfortable sticking with what I know. Plus I also use the normal ones myself.

Just a note, in humans it is reccommended that they not be taken if the person is on immuno suppressents or has asthma. If someone is on medication they are reccommended to consult their doctor or pharmacist about any possible interactions, this goes for all supplements, so just make sure you clear it with your vet. I dont see why there would be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

well off to the health store I went this morning to get some and gave the old shop assistant a giggle. He said in 35 years of business he had never heard of anyone wanting them for a rabbit :oops: :lol:

Vince took it straight away to my relief so here goes... I'll let you know if I see any improvement. :thumb:

I am also eager to see how this works. I want to try this with Mimzy should his snuffles return.
Vibes for your bun! :)

Hi guys, was just browsing the forum and noticed the thread. Just to let you know - Holland and Barrett's tinctures are glycerin based (as opposed to alcohol based), I buy them for my parrot :) Haven't had to use them on the bun, thankfully.

Back