• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weight loss but eating well

Alice's mum

Warren Scout
Alice is approx 8-9 years old (not sure as I had her from a rescue 5 years ago). She has been outside all winter but recently brought in because her feet are sore - they are getting much better and healing well. She's been on metacam and running around the house with no problems. But she is very thin - eating tonnes (never lost her appetite) . Now 2.5kg, in 2010 she was 3.3Kg (a little heavy) in 2011 she was 2.95kg and pretty spot on. If she had kidney or teeth issues I don't think she's be stuffing her face. Anyone got older rabbits that have just lost weight due to age rather than anything more sinister? Cheers.

Yes, I've had a couple of buns that have lost weight when older. Some older folk are the same - whether it's because of an underlying health problem or just old age it's hard to say. I have found with mine they are approaching their time but you could have her checked out. She's a good age, bless her.

I'd have her checked out to be on the safe side. Could be teeth problems, or her digestive system may not be very efficient or she may have an underlying illness. I believe EC can cause unexplained weightloss too.

I have a bun who eats 3 times the amount he used to (in order to get him to put on weight) and still was losing weight, thankfully over the last month he has stabilised though. I havent found the cause, but weightloss without obvious cause is always something that needs to be investigated.

You need to find the cause, but profibre pellets contain pre and probiotics so can help her digestive system be more efficient, so may help treat the symptoms. I also use readigrass and give extra pellets and greens.

I think you lose nothing by getitng her checked, and blood tests run. I would be thinking maybe kidney or liver failure, to be honest. Equally, it could just be old age and being frail. What exactly is her diet? Do you feed her junior pellets?

Thanks everyone. During the winter she gets some Excell pellets but once the warmer weather comes my rabbits ( I have four) get no pellets. They get 5-6 different greens/veg everyday, unlimited meadow and oat hay, herbs and wild plants. This has been her diet the 5 years I've had her. I've re-introduced the pellets (I can feel every single rib easily) and it may be as simple as that but I think I'll get her checked out as well.

You're obviously feeding her a very good diet. My first suggestion would have been to up the pellets as you've done, just to give her that calorie boost, and I was going to mention oat hay too. I would personally see a vet, just because she's still eating well doesn't eliminate underlying conditions - my Rex who had cardiac failure still ate like a champion. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks everyone. During the winter she gets some Excell pellets but once the warmer weather comes my rabbits ( I have four) get no pellets. They get 5-6 different greens/veg everyday, unlimited meadow and oat hay, herbs and wild plants. This has been her diet the 5 years I've had her. I've re-introduced the pellets (I can feel every single rib easily) and it may be as simple as that but I think I'll get her checked out as well.

Lovely diet :) I have found, personally, that a 'normal' diet often doesn't help the elderly bunnies stay in optimum condition and mine often end up back on Junior pellets, and large amounts (normally they just get 2-4 Science Selective pellets a day) and that helps their weight stay on and stable.

But yes, definitel a vet check :)

Back