• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Behaviour after spaying

cowper

New Kit
Hi guys,

My 7mnt old female lionhead got spayed just over a week ago thinking it was the best thing for her. She has recovered nicely and the wound is all fine but she's not the same rabbit anymore, she has no trust in me and isn't as relaxed or as friendly as she used to be.
Before she would roll around on my bed while I tickled her tummy and used to follow me round the house, run round my feet and want to be with me. Now she doesn't.

Is this common? If so, how do I get her back to the way she was before as at the moment all I can think of is how much I regret this decision. I want my old bunny back!! :cry:

All opinions welcome. Thanks for your time xxx

Oh no thats a real shame :(

I got Lola spayed recently too but she was only four months. I have in fact noticed they she has become more hyper and crazy since getting it done!

I can't offer any real advice other than my Vet did say that her behaviour would change before I got her done. But I can't say how I would get those positive things back, maybe it might just take time for her to relax and chill out again.

Can anyone else offer any advice!

Spaying a bunny often does change the behaviour, but it doesn't always stay that way - she may just need a few weeks for the hormones to settle down and be back to herself. It's a big op for a little bunny and she may not trust you because she doesn't understand what's happened. You just need to spend time with her and build that trust back up. Lots of talking to her, strokes and cuddles, treats and so on. She will come round again.

The running round your feet is actually a sign of sexual frustration, so that's one thing that probably won't come back. And you HAVE done the right thing - 80% of does over the age of 3 develop uterine cancer, and by having her spayed you have eliminated the chance of her ever having this awful illness. It's one of the best gifts you can give to a female bunny, and in time I'm sure she will back to being her friendly self again.

I've had several spayed does (one extremely grumpy one!) and they all came round to being lovable bunnies who followed me round the house. It just takes time.

Welcome to RU! :wave::D

P.S - Don't suppose you have any pics of your girly? ;)

Thank you both for your comments!!

I was aware about the risks of cancer and that is really what swung me round to getting it done in the first place, so I know it's the best thing for her, I think
I'm just being a bit selfish and should give her a bit more time. I'm trying to spend as much time with her as possible so she gets to like me again. Fingers crossed that she'll get there! Being honest, the running round my feet thing was a bit dangerous; me, my boyfriend and my housemates have regularly been chased out of my room by her and nearly fallen over themselves trying not to step on her!!

By having the op and hopefully extending her life that gives me more time to work with her and get her back to being as loving as before (but without the arm humping!)

I will try and upload her pic later today! Her name is Calypso btw!

Thank you guys!! xxx

I think if it was only a week ago she may still be feeling very sore and grumpy. Also YOU took her to the vet so she might associate what happened with you. The girlie's I've had spayed usually weren't completely back to their normal selves til 3 to 4 weeks after. Just give her time and don't pressure her.

Back