• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new hutch @ bunnys

wendle

Warren Veteran
I've just ordered a new hutch hopefully to get new bunny , at the moment I gave just one playhouse with 2 runs attached goin up one side of the garden, the 2 bunnys I have outside get let out every morning at quart to 5 while quart to 6 before I get ready for work then I let them out later on for a few hours , now the new hutch is 12x4 and had to go other side of garden facing my other playhouse but there will be 4ft between the hutches and runs I'm just starting to worry now will it affect my other 2 bunnys , when I let them out I would separate the garden into 2 like I used to when my 2 small bunnys used to be outside but I don't want my 2 outside bunnys to be affected any ideas or helpful advice will be appreciated :)

I'm interested in this answer too, as I will have similar problem when Ive finished re-vamping garden.

Is there any guidance/articles on refered agression? What experience do rescues have with this?

Maybe its us BARC bunny owners that just worry about these things wendle :lol:

I've just ordered a new hutch hopefully to get new bunny , at the moment I gave just one playhouse with 2 runs attached goin up one side of the garden, the 2 bunnys I have outside get let out every morning at quart to 5 while quart to 6 before I get ready for work then I let them out later on for a few hours , now the new hutch is 12x4 and had to go other side of garden facing my other playhouse but there will be 4ft between the hutches and runs I'm just starting to worry now will it affect my other 2 bunnys , when I let them out I would separate the garden into 2 like I used to when my 2 small bunnys used to be outside but I don't want my 2 outside bunnys to be affected any ideas or helpful advice will be appreciated :)

I also have 2 pairs of bunnies and they take it in turns to get let out in the garden (its actually a yard i live in terraced housing) My pair 1 get let out in the morning then i feed them and lock them away and let my pair 2 out during the day whilst I'm at work then in the evening my pair 1 come in the house and at night they all get locked away (one pair live in a coal shed and the other in a converted outside toilet) Anyway I don't want to get too compex but my bunnies share territories with each other and they are fine with that they seem used to each others smells it doesnt effect them at all. Can you leave them out in the garden whilst you are at work then let the other pair our later like I do or are you worried about predators?

typo

No I wouldn't leave them out while I'm not there I only let em in garden when I'm sat with them they do have a playhouse with a 5x5 run attached to either side and ill probably add a extra run on other side of this 12x4 hutch I'm getting so they have extra room too

Last edited:
I have two pairs of bunnies, which can see each other and are about 6 foot apart - have had no problems at all with referred agression, in-fact i'm not even sure if they've even noticed each other :lol:

I have 7 bunnies 2 pairs and 3 singles they all share the same out space they can go up to the other rabbits hutches when there out and none are bothered with each other

I think it depends very much on the bunnies. Some aren't fussed at all, others might be bothered by smells and some might be more annoyed at the sight of 'intruder bunnies'.

No I wouldn't leave them out while I'm not there I only let em in garden when I'm sat with them they do have a playhouse with a 5x5 run attached to either side and ill probably add a extra run on other side of this 12x4 hutch I'm getting so they have extra room too

Sorry not hijacking thread but do other people leave their buns out all day? I have always done this....My garden (or yard) is surrounded by brick walls but if a fox wanted to get in I'm sure it could jump it. Just wondering...

There's also cats and some birds that attack rabbits as well I'd rather no they were safe inside there houses/pens while I'm out at work :wave:

There's also cats and some birds that attack rabbits as well I'd rather no they were safe inside there houses/pens while I'm out at work :wave:

Can you permanently attached "roofed" runs to the playhouse? I have a playhouse/aviary set up

Re referred aggression - it depends on the buns - mine are all fine except my wildie. No issues with smell, or sight from a distance, but if they approach the mesh, I get issues. I screen off my aviary when buns are loose

I suppose I think its worth the risk for them to have freedom all day.... I don't think birds would bother them my buns are big they are beverens and I have three cats which hang around with the buns in the garden...i suppose they are like my rabbits personal protection hehe. I must admit if i had a smaller rabbit I don't think I would risk it. Plus a fox couldn't get into their outhouse Ive cut a little hole in the door for them to fit through, I was thinking of putting a cat flap on it as well for extra protection. I suppose being in terraced housing with backyards my garden is better protected. If i moved to a bigger garden I wouldnt leave them out though.

Yeah my runs are all roofed and secure :D I was replying to Lady Lagomorph she leaves her bunnys free ranging in the garden I wouldn't be able to rest if I did that :(

I suppose I think its worth the risk for them to have freedom all day.... I don't think birds would bother them my buns are big they are beverens and I have three cats which hang around with the buns in the garden...i suppose they are like my rabbits personal protection hehe. I must admit if i had a smaller rabbit I don't think I would risk it. Plus a fox couldn't get into their outhouse Ive cut a little hole in the door for them to fit through, I was thinking of putting a cat flap on it as well for extra protection. I suppose being in terraced housing with backyards my garden is better protected. If i moved to a bigger garden I wouldnt leave them out though.

I live in a terraced house but I still wouldn't risk it they are happy in there runs and house it's 15Ftx5ft till I get home to let them out :)

Back