• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shaky legs

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Our new bun Harley is roughly a year old, he has only been here 3 days, and I have noticed since he has started jumping onto my knee, that his legs start shaking. Is this normal? I think its his back legs, I can feel them trembling.

It has never happened with my other 2 buns, but for some reason his do shake/tremble.

Is this normal? He has got the vets at 9:50 this morning so I will mention it to them.

Thanks

Both Biscuit (100% healthy) and Ginger (can't think of a percentage for her :lol:) will tremble if i have them on my lap/leg where they aren't 100% comfortable or don't feel 100% safe. I think its a bit like us, if we sit on a nerve in our leg sometimes!

Both Biscuit (100% healthy) and Ginger (can't think of a percentage for her :lol:) will tremble if i have them on my lap/leg where they aren't 100% comfortable or don't feel 100% safe. I think its a bit like us, if we sit on a nerve in our leg sometimes!

Phew, glad to hear it, Ive been worrying for a few days about it! One thought that did cross my mind is that the previous owners kept him shut up in a tiny hutch for days upon days, and he didnt get chance to stretch his legs, could that also cause them to be a bit weak and trembly?

Phew, glad to hear it, Ive been worrying for a few days about it! One thought that did cross my mind is that the previous owners kept him shut up in a tiny hutch for days upon days, and he didnt get chance to stretch his legs, could that also cause them to be a bit weak and trembly?

Yes, very much so :(

Ginger, not due to being locked up in a hutch all the time, but due to illness, didn't have much strength in her rear legs when she arrived. SHe couldn't periscope without falling over, as she just had no muscle tone in her legs. We had to slowly, but surely build her up, by giving her time out, and doing some basic physio (holding her between our legs and slowly massaging her leg muscles, she used to love it, and would sit there tooth purring, but as you can imagine, not always something a rabbit would tolerate, just Ginger, she's a bit, erm, special :lol:

Speak to your vet about it :)

Yes, very much so :(

Ginger, not due to being locked up in a hutch all the time, but due to illness, didn't have much strength in her rear legs when she arrived. SHe couldn't periscope without falling over, as she just had no muscle tone in her legs. We had to slowly, but surely build her up, by giving her time out, and doing some basic physio (holding her between our legs and slowly massaging her leg muscles, she used to love it, and would sit there tooth purring, but as you can imagine, not always something a rabbit would tolerate, just Ginger, she's a bit, erm, special :lol:

Speak to your vet about it :)

Ah, I was hoping that wouldnt be the case :( He's quite a big bun too, I hate the thought of him being cooped up and not given any excersise :(

Oh gosh, poor Ginger, you have a one in a million bun there Graham, you must be so proud of her :)

I couldnt imagine Harley letting me do physio on him, he hates being touched at the moment, flinches when you go near him. But I dread to think how he was treated at his last home, he doesnt trust anybody :(

I will do, he's booked in for having the combined vaccine this morning too, I just hope everything goes ok!

I'd get it checked out but if there is muscle wastage you can do a lot of physio without touching him. I've done a fair amount of physio this end and using food to make them move to certain places and positions can be a great way to get them moving, so if he isn't cool with your touching him, then I would say use food and make it into a fun game.

Good luck at the vets.

I'd get it checked out but if there is muscle wastage you can do a lot of physio without touching him. I've done a fair amount of physio this end and using food to make them move to certain places and positions can be a great way to get them moving, so if he isn't cool with your touching him, then I would say use food and make it into a fun game.

Good luck at the vets.

Sky-O taught me all her little physio ideas. We used the stairs a lot - we owe a lot of Ginger's current health to her :love: Food makes a great incentive :D

Good luck at the vets.

Thank you sky-o, Im feeling very nervous, well probably worried is a better word as I dont know his history :(

What is meant by the term 'muscle wastage', and will the vet be able to tell if he has got this?

Good advice, thank you :)

Muscle wastage is when you aren't using your muscles like in walking and so the muscles waste away, but you can build them back again with gentle exercise to start with.

Harley has been to the vets and had a thorough check over.

My vet thinks its nerves, which confirmed what graham said earlier.

Teeth and everything else is fine I'm pleased to say :)

Back