• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argghhh fussy buns please help!

Sophied

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:

I have two very fussy rabbits (Ruby especially). They are both fed the correct amount of pellets, usually some parsley or kale in the afternoon, and occasionally the Burgess-type forage things for a treat. They are currently indoor rabbits.

My problem is that the pair of them constantly act as if they are starving! I split their pellets so that I hand feed them morning and night, and they appear ravenous every time I feed them. They also jump right on their new hay. My problem is that they seem to be really 'into' their hay, and then 30 minutes later they have lost interest. :? It has now got to the point that I have to replace their unused hay 4 times a day, and it's getting ridiculous! I have bags and bags of 'old' perfectly nice hay that have to get chucked out! I have tried reusing their hay, rearranging it, leaving it (although then I get worried because I don't want them to not eat obviously)…

The reason I'm asking for advice is that Ruby seems slightly on the light side (although I haven't weighed her… I just can tell she's a wee bit under). I'm fed up since I'm giving them all the food they need/want and it's getting left.

Both rabs have been at the vets recently so I'm not worried about general health. (And the hay thing isn't new)

The hay I'm feeding is not the tastiest, but I am taking delivery of some yummy DFH tomorrow.

Does anyone have any tips, RU? I'm a fairly new owner (had Ruby just under a year).

xx

Could you refresh the hay more often and give less? I tend to 'fluff' up the hay and then add a couple of handfuls ot top rather than replace the whole lot.

Rabbits will act as if they are starving constantly :lol: Thats the way they are i'm afraid! I always know somethings wrong when they aren't begging for food! :lol:

Like Elena says, fluff up the hay and top up just a little.

It can be worthwhile remembering, rabbits can be fussy, and if we pander to them, they WILL use it against us, not intentionally, but because they know they get what they want by doing a certain thing. Its known as learnt behaviour.

My buns can do the same, they won't eat the 'old' hay in the litter tray and will hold out for a short while for fresh and won't eat any. If however, i leave it, they WILL get into the tray and eat the stuff i put in only 2-3 hours ago! Just fresh is best in their eyes.

Sometimes, you do have to be a little forceful. It's not cruel to not top it up, i'd certainly test it for a few days but giving a large amount in the morning, then leaving it til after lunch to feed anymore. It's almost like re-training their mind, if that makes sense.

I do appreciate what you mean thought, i have two buns who eat me out of hay and home and will often wait for fresh, fussy beggers.

Thanks guys,
I suppose I just have to try to strike that balance- they look at me like I'm the devil if (god forbid) they run out (which seems to happen if I try to give less)..! And I do do the fluffing up. I think I'm just worried about them being stubborn for too long, not eating the hay and then making themselves ill. How long do you think is too long for them to be stubborn and not eat?
S

I'd suggest trying hay in toys like in toilet roll tubes, or in tissue boxes, and then when they have finished nomming what they want, then 'reuse' it in their litter tray. That can work effectively. I do totally agree with Gray though. All mine get two fresh loads of hay a day (roughly the size of all the bunnies in the group put together, each time) and they prefer it at the start and would prefer it fresh all the time, but they do eat throughout the day as well.

Back