• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mr. Smelly Johnson's

Beansprout

Warren Scout
Heyhey

I got some of this hay

P5100019.jpg

But it smells musty and kinda mouldy... and it's very dusty too (hayfever here heh heh cough Sneeze)

I'll be getting some more hay-like-stuff soon... but is this ok for another week y'reckon?

Buns seem to eat a few bit now and again..I have to re-fill their piles but only once every few days. Only see them eat one strand at a time really. The stuff the RSPCA put in the carriers on the way home (their old bedding) smelt amazing, even though they'd been sleeping on it for days!

I love the smell of hay, but this stuff is rank.

...Ps, I have rotated the pic on photobucket... it just needs a kick up the bum to catch up

hay

If it smells musty I wouldn't feed my bunnys it , it would go in the bin it might be damp from the polythene bag I fill my bunnys hay up about 3 times a day :D
That bag of hay wouldn't last me a day never mind a week lol why do you only fill there hay up every FEW days how much pellets / food do you feed them :)

Last edited:
If it smells musty I wouldn't feed my bunnys it , it would go in the bin it might be damp from the polythene bag I fill my bunnys hay up about 3 times a day :D
That bag of hay wouldn't last me a day never mind a week lol why do you only fill there hay up every FEW days how much pellets / food do you feed them :)

Yup, I wouldn't feed it either. The sooner you can get new stuff the better :)

I have been giving them two handfuls of excel adult food... morning and evening.. each.... but reading a bit more I don't think that's quite right >< An eggcup each a day- is that right? I need to get them weighed at the vets so I can judge properly.

They just don't eat the hay, that's why I haven't replaced it.

My friend also has new rabbits and she has sourced a big bale for us, so I've got a big bag of fresh sweet smellin' stuff. I'll replace everything as soon as I get home from work!

Their poo is changing... When I first got them on friday, their poo was brown and not smelly, now it's dark, almost black, and quite smelly. I suspect this is to do with too many pellets and not enough hay....

I have been giving them two handfuls of excel adult food... morning and evening.. each.... but reading a bit more I don't think that's quite right >< An eggcup each a day- is that right? I need to get them weighed at the vets so I can judge properly.

They just don't eat the hay, that's why I haven't replaced it.

My friend also has new rabbits and she has sourced a big bale for us, so I've got a big bag of fresh sweet smellin' stuff. I'll replace everything as soon as I get home from work!

Their poo is changing... When I first got them on friday, their poo was brown and not smelly, now it's dark, almost black, and quite smelly. I suspect this is to do with too many pellets and not enough hay....

Yep, that would be why! Buns need a diet of mostly hay and forage - high fibre things, you are defo on the right track with Excel, just cut that down and up the lovely fresh hay. Most pet shops do a variety of hays as 'treat' hays and a lot of people on here use 'hay for pets' and order theirs online. Make sure you top the hay up frequently as trampled and peed on hay doesn't get eaten so readily!

If their poo is changing watch them, bunnies tummies are fickle things and if they don't quickly improve with the better diet (which they should) then I would get them down to the vet. Bunnies poops should be a fairly light brown colour, with no smell and dry maybe a bit crumbly. If you find any cecals then again that's prob the diet and they should all be being eaten again soon!

Good luck, I overfed my rabbits for years. Wish I'd found this place sooner!

Thanks Hele :) I'm taking them to the vets on fri for an all round health check/advice anyway so I'll mention it then too ^^

Got that sweet hay from bff, corr it smells gorgeous. Now my room(s) smell of hay and not poop!

Back