• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Miserable Bunny

showgego

Young Bun
Hi All,

We lost one of our bunnies a few weeks back to a fox (thats another story though) and the one left (Finsbury) got a new hutch which is 2 story with a big run underneath.

He doesnt use the run at all and just sits up the top, he isnt getting fat or anything but I dont know how to get him to go downstairs and into the run. I know rabbits like to be high up but he stays up there from when he goes to bed all the way through to when we get home from work and let him out.

We are going to get him a friend next week but meantime does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Was the bunnys bonded because the bunny left behind could be grieving for their partner mine stopped eating when we lost her partner and we had to go to the vets she's doing good now thankfully I hope your bunny gets better :)

Could it be that he is not comfortable using the ramp?

Hi, oh he doesn't mind it and uses it with no problem. If we get him out he will go back to his hutch when told to...

I think he just likes being up high and where he is able to see out. Also I expect he is missing Luna :cry:

Was the bunnys bonded because the bunny left behind could be grieving for their partner mine stopped eating when we lost her partner and we had to go to the vets she's doing good now thankfully I hope your bunny gets better :)

yeah they were strongly bonded and he does miss her. its not nice to see him so miserable. hopefully he will cheer up soon when the sun comes out!!

I have found that buns, whilst they are learning, are more comfortable going up, instead of down ramps. It might be worth scattering his pellets and veg and any treats between the levels so he has to be more active to find them? He's also probably bored as well as sad after losing his friend, so any extra enrichment activities like that may help.

I have found that buns, whilst they are learning, are more comfortable going up, instead of down ramps. It might be worth scattering his pellets and veg and any treats between the levels so he has to be more active to find them? He's also probably bored as well as sad after losing his friend, so any extra enrichment activities like that may help.

Thats great, thanks very much for your advice. I will certainly try to coax him down the ramp :)

Finsbury must be reading this post.....

..... as this morning he came down the ramp!

Funny old bunny

I got my bun a new hutch after his wife died and its a two storey one and he absolutely loves sitting up high looking out, he has access all day to the outside enclosure but we often find him even on sunny days sitting up high, he likes to nap there but comes bounding down if we go round. sometimes it takes him a moment to work out he has to go down the ramp:roll: not the brightest spark in the box! It is a steep ramp but after a few days of carefully walking up and down he now bounds ovr the side in one leap.

Back