• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit recovering from e cuniculi and now not eating/runs?

ladyhamlet

New Kit
Hi everyone, I've followed the advice in this forum to a T following my rabbit developing head tilt. Thankfully after two weeks he lost the head tilt completely and regained his balance and seemed on the road to recovery. Since yesterday though he's almost stopped eating. Before then he was eating veg and a small amount of food mix (he won't eat hay, but that's a separate issue!) and since yesterday has had the runs. I've had him on critical care to try to keep him going, but wondered if anyone else has seen this in conjunction with the infection?

I'll take him to the vets, but to be honest, the vet suggested putting him to sleep last time even thought I felt in my gut I could treat him even partially successfully of the disease.

Now at a bit of a loss of what to do, as I can't go on hand feeding him as I'm worried about the stress it's causing him along with the medication (pancur).

Thank you for your time :) x

No just the medication, I was thinking about a probiotic yesterday but didn't have chance to get into town try get some capsules to try mixed with water and then syringe fed. Actually a while ago a vet gave me a fibre mix that I think was a probiotic, has anyone tried that? I remember it being carrot flavoured on the list of ingredients.

I think you are talking about Fibreplex, carrot flavoured paste in a tube, that is perfect. If you have had it for a while just check the date but that is great for helping upset tums.

It can take bunnies a fair few weeks to recover from EC, so he will probably have good and bad days.

Could you also tempt him to eat with some fresh herbs?

He's never been one for herbs, but seems to be happy on my rose plant a few violas and some kale leaves this morning. Took him to the vets and he'd lost a lot of weight, so back to hand feeding him 5 times a day on critical care along with the fibreplex. Just looked at another weight loss topic and going to try the oats next!

Back