• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you weigh your buns on a regular basis?

catherine09

Mama Doe
I know our vets do a free weigh service but it seems a bit OTT to stress them both out driving them down there - do any of you have scales at home and where did you get them from?

We need to keep an eye on Hettie's weight as she has come from the rescue eating quite a bit of veg and readigrass (and she is a little overweight too) and now she has basically moved onto a hay only diet (plus forage and 6 SS per day) as Sweep can't have any veg and feeding them separately was an absolute nightmare and quite unhealthy for their bond. I can tell she has lost a bit since she came home but I need to start weighing her regularly when she gets to her target range to make sure she doesn't lose too much.

I have normal kitchen scales for weighing the piggies but I doubt any of the buns will fit on them :lol:

Any ideas?

ETA: I have looked at vet scales but they are £60 :shock::shock:

Last edited:
Put something on the scales for the buns to go in. I put a litter tray (empty & clean!) with a towel on the scales, then zero the scales, then put bunny in the litter tray....Voila!

Put something on the scales for the buns to go in. I put a litter tray (empty & clean!) with a towel on the scales, then zero the scales, then put bunny in the litter tray....Voila!

With normal human scales?

I was worried they wouldn't be accurate enough? :?

as Kermit says .. empty his litter tray put a tiny bit of hay in then zero the scales .. in he hops .. hey presto :)

*note I made that sound easy .. sometimes he is a monkey :)*

as Kermit says .. empty his litter tray put a tiny bit of hay in then zero the scales .. in he hops .. hey presto :)

*note I made that sound easy .. sometimes he is a monkey :)*

Knowing Hettie that will turn into a right fiasco....:lol: she is a right little madam

You can get digital scales on ebay for about £5 / £6 inc postage :)

Ooo well mine are Salter and I got them from tesco for around a tenner I think, so hopefully they will be good enough :)

Baby scales are best I was actually thinking of getting some...have a look on ebay.

You can buy vet scales but they are really expensive.

Back