• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

referred aggression

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Are there any guidelines for how far apart rabbits need to be in order to be farily confident of avoiding referred aggression?

Are there any guidelines for how far apart rabbits need to be in order to be farily confident of avoiding referred aggression?

It will depend on the specific Rabbits. Some wont show any at all. Some will be OK as long as they cant see other Rabbits, some will need to be out of sight, sound and smell and will kick off if you bring the smell of 'foreigners' into their territory.

The only problems i have personally had with referred agression up to now is when buns could see each other. I havent had any problems with buns being able to smell each other through a fence though it isn't to say it wont happen in the future.

It will depend on the specific Rabbits. Some wont show any at all. Some will be OK as long as they cant see other Rabbits, some will need to be out of sight, sound and smell and will kick off if you bring the smell of 'foreigners' into their territory.

I agree with this.

Generally I think sight is the biggest factor. Although it will also cause problems if they can hear/smell another rabbit right on the other side of their hutch/run/enclosure. Block off all sight and leave a gap :)

My only bun who exhibits this is wildie male Bella - as long as he can't see other buns he's fine with smell. (Good job. There's a garden full)

Back