• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time to say goodbye??

Woodchip

Young Bun
Sorry - here I go again, never post here until i need help and advice. Please forgive me.

I'm worried about my Brandy Bun.

Her weight has dropped dramatically in the past couple of weeks and she's losing the use of her back legs. She is very bony and her spine is prominent.
On the other hand, she is still eating and drinking normally, peeing and pooing, and grooming herself and our other rabbit, Barney.

I don't want to let her go, but at the same time I adore her and I don't want to let her suffer.

Please advise. :(

Have you seen a vet?
How old is she?
Did anything happen when the weight loss was first noticed?

can you give any more details? age. pvs or known illness, etc?

sorry if you have another thread with al that on.

I agree with the others, but as long as you make the best decision for her, then you won't go wrong.

Sorry - meant to add all that info to OP.

Brandy is at least 4, possible older. She came to us as a rescue having been a school pet (neglected and ignored).
She has always had a slight head tilt, poor sight, and getting her teeth to reasonable length has been a long hard process.

Last October she had some sort of urine infection and the vet started to talk to me about E Cuniculi. He remains convinced that's what she has, I'm not so sure, but then I'm no expert. Things have been kept under control with Baytril for a while, but now that she's dragging her back legs and losing weight it seems whatever her problem is it's escalating quickly.

She had a rubbish start to her life... I don't want her to suffer at the end of life as well :(

EC was the first thought that came to my mind.
Can you take her to your vet for an urgent assessment?
Ask lots of questions about what it could be and any tests or other diagnostics that may help. EC can be tested for by taking blood tests but I think it can take 7-10 days for the results to come back, treatment could be started in the meantime anyway. Really hope your bunny will be ok.

Has she been on Panacur all this time? and metacam?

these are the main treatments for EC (which it sounds like). Baytril will not have any impact at all on EC.

whereabouts are you?

Last edited:
I would get bun to a vet and possibly get a Steroid Injection or Metacam, and also get Panacur. Sounds like bun does have EC.

We have an appointment with our vet at 5.10pm.
Should I be preparing myself and my children for the worst? :(

Good luck at the vet's. If they suggest PTS and you are not happy with that, you can say no and seek a second opinion. If you can tell us where abouts you are based, people may be able to offer suggestions of a good vet to see for advice.

Good luck at the vet's. If they suggest PTS and you are not happy with that, you can say no and seek a second opinion. If you can tell us where abouts you are based, people may be able to offer suggestions of a good vet to see for advice.

To quote Sky O (on anther thread) Always Advocate for Your Rabbit!!!

It sounds as though two of the main drugs for treatment of EC have not yet been tried so personally I would expect a vet to offer these before talking about PTS.

The rabbit depends on you to stick up for it - if necessary to find a vet who will discuss those drug options etc. or at least have very very compelling reasons why not before even offering PTS.

Your bun is still a comparatively young/middle aged bun - if s/he were 9 or 10 I might be less optimistic - but 4 is really not old enough to give up unless everything has been tried.

have you tried altering the diet to help with weight gain? also have there been blood tests to assess kidney efficiency or liver damage?

PS if you can give a location we can suggest a rabbit savvy vet.

Thanks, Graham. Maidstone is certainly doable.

I'll keep the appointment with my vet today and we'll take it from there.

I think the very title of my thread showed that I knew really :(

Talked long and urgently with the vet about various treatments and things to try, but even as we talked, Brandy's breathing was becoming laboured and we just didn't think she had the will to fight. So we made the heartbreaking decision to let her go to sleep. :cry:

Night night, Brandy Bun, now reunited with your sister Snowball. Hop free at the bridge my darling girl xxx

Back