• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice on weak little runt of my rabbits litter needed urgently!!

my lionhead doe gave birth 10 days ago, it was acidental but not her first litter so we knew what to do, bring them inside, seperate from buck, keep warm ect. Four of them are quite big and chunky now, with all their fur and eyes that look almost ready to open. But one of them, aptly named 'moley' still hasnt got all his fur, bless him/her, he has little pink patches and looks more like a little mole than the others who look like proper rabbits now. He is also half the size of the others with a skinny body while the others have bulging tums and is always at the bottom of the pile. This came to our attention a few days ago so following advice from the internet we tried to coax her to feed him by putting him next to her, but everytime he got underneath and latched onto a nip, she hopped off. So i tried to hold her there, which worked for twenty seconds tops before she started kicking and trying to get away, so not wanting her to hurt the baby or stress herself out i had to let her go. Then my mum came up with the idea of holding her on my lap and putting moley underneath her while stroking and reasuring her. But i cant even tell if moley is suckling, he just seems to be lieing under her, and after a while she nips me and gets aggitated and wants to go back in with her other babies. I just tried to turn her on her back and so i could latch moley onto a nip as a last resort, again seen suggested online, but she got really stressed, her ears went back, and she was not happy so i gave up, the last thing i want to do is put her off suckling. Moley seems to get tinier and wrinklier every day while the others are growing like nobodys buisness. Am i being paranoid, should i leave her to it? has anyone had experience with this before and has suggestions? I know every litter has a runt, and as none of them have died, this one is clearly the weakling in the litter but i cant let the poor guy/gal die!

Well done for trying so much.

It might be a case of trying to supplement him, however, there is every possibility, from the way mum is acting, that she knows he is fatally flawed and is going to die anyway. A 'runt' is a healthy baby that generally catches up as it gets older, however, there are a variety of genetic conditions or issues that cause fatal flaws in babies and the mummy bunny often knows better than a human, in that situation.

If you supplement then there is no real milk we have that comes close to what they need (goats milk, kitty replacement milt, puppy formula, etc, none are suitable, so it would be worth discussing with your vet), and you'll have to be careful he doesn't aspirate (inhale) the forumla, and also you will need to help him toilet by gently stroking his belly top to toe with a warm, damp cloth and waiting for both poos and wees.

If she was living with the male rigt up until after the birth then she will likely already be pregnant again. To avoid these issues it is generally, better for the bunnies to be spayed/neutered, which is also something else to discuss with your vet.

I'm not sure if you have read these but it would be worthwhile reading them both.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

thanks guys! quite wrorrying to think she might be rejecting little moley :( defo gunna keep doing everything i can, not the upside down thing though, dont know who came up with that but it defenatley didnt work lol poor bunny, and those links were helpful, didnt think about weighing him. god i hope she isnt pregnant again, the five she's got now are enough trouble as it is lol x

Back