• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home - rabbit care advice

The booklet you get when you buy or adopt a rabbit from them is good too (the one that has pics of nursecroft's Dreamer). I was surprised. They also come with a voucher for a free check up at the local vets, an insurance leaflet, and a list of vets in the area.

I think Pets at Home are definitely improving. They were very very reluctant to sell me a single rabbit when I adopted Harris. They really tried to get me to take two, and I had to actually show a pic of my trio on my phone before they were properly happy that he wasn't going to be alone.

The booklet you get when you buy or adopt a rabbit from them is good too (the one that has pics of nursecroft's Dreamer). I was surprised. They also come with a voucher for a free check up at the local vets, an insurance leaflet, and a list of vets in the area.

I think Pets at Home are definitely improving. They were very very reluctant to sell me a single rabbit when I adopted Harris. They really tried to get me to take two, and I had to actually show a pic of my trio on my phone before they were properly happy that he wasn't going to be alone.

I didn't get any leaflets or info from them when we got Hopscotch nearly a year and a half ago. If they are giving this kind of information out for new owners now then that's good.

They sent me the booklet in a PDF first and I suggested some things to add with the help of Jill and some ru members, I thought we were going in the right direction at least until some disappointing recent events.

I thought they must have got the good stuff from somewhere!

Well, despite the "recent events", this is looking good. I've never seen leaflets/booklets in the store (but then I am not looking for them). This came to me via email from P@H as I have ordered stuff online before. If other people who receive the email take a look, then that's a good thing :thumb:

Shame they dont heed their own 'advice' re the age of neutering ...................

Also, the Dental bit is only semi correct and the use of the word 'trimming' when referring to the Incisors is of concern. Some eejit is bound to attempt a DIY job

Vitamin Supplements/mineral stones are unnecessary if the Rabbit has a healthy diet and in some cases giving a Vitamin Supplement/mineral stones can actually cause problems.
But P@h sell Vit supplements/mineral stones so..........................

At least there is mention of vaccinations and that 'a hutch is not enough'

Rome wasn't built in a day I guess

looks good for pets at home ;)
whats happened about the vip rabbits btw have they stoped yet i carnt see anyone buying them :?

I wish the staff would buck their ideas up though. I went in to have a look at the buns while OH was buying trainers and there was a nethie in the adoption centre who was a fine weight when I first saw her, then a few weeks later she was looking much podgier. she had one of the big metal dishes overflowing with pellets and a handful of hay :cry:

Even when I mention to them that a full grown nethie only needs a tablespoon or two of pellets a day they just shrug and say "does it really matter?", which is DOES!!!

Progress. 11 years ago I went into P@H undecided whether to buy a bun or a piggie. They suggested one of each and sold me a 3 foot indoor cage for them to live in together.

I've never understood why the companion care advice is different...and in fact I think some of it is completely duff and indeed a bit dangerous! Annoyingly (or actually probably a good thing seeings its so rubbish) there doesn't seem to be a direct link to it, but their rabbit care neutering advice says that male rabbits do not normally need to be neutered and that the ideal (yes, it does say ideal) combination is a spayed doe and an entire buck...

I raised this one with the RWA a few years ago, especially as it's written by John Chitty, and was told they would raise it, but it's still there and still says it!

http://www.companioncare.co.uk/pet-health-information.html (click rabbits, then click neutering).

Small mercies that the information is so hard to find that hopefully no-one will bother.

I've never understood why the companion care advice is different...and in fact I think some of it is completely duff and indeed a bit dangerous! Annoyingly (or actually probably a good thing seeings its so rubbish) there doesn't seem to be a direct link to it, but their rabbit care neutering advice says that male rabbits do not normally need to be neutered and that the ideal (yes, it does say ideal) combination is a spayed doe and an entire buck...

I raised this one with the RWA a few years ago, especially as it's written by John Chitty, and was told they would raise it, but it's still there and still says it!

http://www.companioncare.co.uk/pet-health-information.html (click rabbits, then click neutering).

Small mercies that the information is so hard to find that hopefully no-one will bother.

:shock:

Speechless...........................

Let's just hope that advice isn't dealt out to their own practice clients...imagine the potential for injuries and frustrated bunnies!

While it's advice on the CC website, I'm pleased to say it certainly isn't the normal advice given out by my branch of companion care...I suspect the individual branches don't even know that such advice exists!

Oh noooo! :(

Back