• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Continental giants

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've wanted one for a long time, but I've never really been able to get one because of how much extra space they need etc. but I've decided after I finish college next year I'm going to hopefully look into getting one. Do they eat a lot more food than smaller rabbits? Are there any health problems that conti's get? (Apart from the health problems that all rabbits get) and would a conti be ok to live with a lionhead x and a dwarf lop?
Also, if it was kept outdoors I'm guessing it would need a shed, if it was kept inside would it be best to let it free range or are there any bases/cages big enough for a conti?

Do they eat more - absolutley!

Health problems more related to big bunnies include problems with their joints etc if they're allowed to get too heavy. Too much weight can also affect their feet. My Hera had an incredibly long back, and we lost her to problems connected with her spine - bad breeding, basically:(

Space wise my pair used to have a 10X8 shed with three levels and a big enclosure and daily access to the garden. Now Hera has gone to the bridge Ra is a house rabbit, and is an incredibly good boy in the house. He doesn't have any sort of crate as there aren't any big enough for a giant. He has free run of the entire house when we are home, and the conservatory and back room when we're out. We have 3 dogs, and Ra is like a fourth dog really. He runs to the door to greet people with the dogs, goes out in the garden with them, and comes to the kitchen at dinner time for his grub!

As far as temperament is concerned, it really depends on the rabbit. I wouldn't choose to put two very different sized rabbits together, but I do have a 6kg frenchie who has lived with a 1kg nethie for the last 6 years - thats only because BB, the frenchie, is the most laid back and gentle rabbit ever.

Contis are great rabbits, but we have many in the sanctuary that are aggressive, so it can be pot luck as with any breed of bunny!

Just a warning... All the contis I have met (and I *think* they have a reputation for it) have been grumpy so and so's! Well, thats not strictly true. I have found they tend to bond strongly to one person. I work with a black conti, Charlie, and I can do anything to him. I pick him up, carry him places, give him nose kisses, do his nails etc etc. If anybody else tries to even touch him, he has them. And it's not a warning bite, it draws blood! He was bought as a baby, nothing bad has ever happened to him, he has just decided nobody else is to touch him but me! :lol:
If you are the person they love, they are the best. If not, well, it's challenging... tehehe.
Maybe I have just been unlucky in the Conti's I have met!

Would you consider a frenchie? I think they're great :love::love::love:

I do have a soft spot for contis too though... I just love a big bunneh!!!

If they are anything like my frenchies they get through piles and piles of hay, are 3 ft long when they lay spread out and can jump over a metre! Also their boops can near push you over...

have a frenchie instead there just as much trouble :D:D

DSCF1681.jpg

:lol:
plus there pretty big too
DSCF1686.jpg

Would you consider a frenchie? I think they're great :love::love::love:

I do have a soft spot for contis too though... I just love a big bunneh!!!
If they are anything like my frenchies they get through piles and piles of hay, are 3 ft long when they lay spread out and can jump over a metre! Also their boops can near push you over...

Me too! My soul bun was a Frenchie x, she had a personality to die for. Frenchies tend to be laid back and snugglie.
I have a NZ now who is super friendly. He is so nosy, into everything and follows me everywhere. Even to the bathroom! :oops: I wouldn't call him cuddly, he is too busy exploring, but deffo very very friendly.
Big buns are great! (Feel I should point out small and medium sized buns are also good, or my 2 small and medium buns will ignore me when I go upstairs! :lol:)

I would consider a frenchie, how much space do they need? and how big are they compared to continental giants?

I have 2 contis and they are like dogs, will run up to you and jump up with their front paws on your legs. My frenchies (or maybe german lops I'm not entirely sure) are probably more cuddly and like to be fussed over more. They all live together with smaller buns (mini rex, lionhead and wildie x)

Just a warning... All the contis I have met (and I *think* they have a reputation for it) have been grumpy so and so's! Well, thats not strictly true. I have found they tend to bond strongly to one person. I work with a black conti, Charlie, and I can do anything to him. I pick him up, carry him places, give him nose kisses, do his nails etc etc. If anybody else tries to even touch him, he has them. And it's not a warning bite, it draws blood! He was bought as a baby, nothing bad has ever happened to him, he has just decided nobody else is to touch him but me! :lol:
If you are the person they love, they are the best. If not, well, it's challenging... tehehe.
Maybe I have just been unlucky in the Conti's I have met!

Thats really interesting to hear. Harrys soft as anything, really friendly and inquisitive with everyone but hes bonded really strongly with me. He'll let me tease out any knots in his fur, look in his mouth, pick out his eye bogies :)lol: sorry!) all while hes sprawled out on the floor. He can be very clingy, especially if hes not feeling very well, and he follows me everywhere, very closely, so I'm often tripping over my own feet while I try to avoid standing on him! Hes sprawled on my feet at the moment :love:

I would say that as house bunnies, for giants you need an entirely different level of bunny-proofing! You have to consider what they can get onto - Harry can leap from the floor on to the kitchen worktops and he can easily jump over babygates! Harry has free range, so I can never leave anything out on the sides. The first time he figured out how to do it, I got home from work to find the entire fruit bowl had been demolished! :lol:

Harry is the first giant I've ever had and he is lovely bless him. Crazy, but lovely:lol:

i fancy a giant one day instead of a dog when i get my own house :lol:

that would be ace :D
anway thats along time for now :D

I feel that I should also point out (having talked about conti's and Frenchies) that New Zealands rock :D If I didn't mention that, I think my NZ Russell would kill me. Similar size to Frenchies and really really friendly. Not as cuddly as Frenchies but really nosy, and enjoy being stroked. Plus don't have the grumpy Conti streak. To be fair, I :love: all 3 of the breeds!
I :love: giants.

Back