• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tink's Eye looks sore (the brow bit)- should I be concerned?

SJGiggles

New Kit
Hey all

Tink had her myxi/vhd combi vaccination the Friday before last (27th) so not sure if it's just a little effect of this, but her right eye looks a little sore.

I'm not sure if something has just irritated it, she's poked herself or she has something serious we should be more concerned about. It doesn't seem like it's causing her problems.

I've noticed she scratches behind her ears, could this be something to do with it? Could she have mites or fleas? There is no fur loss or anything like that elsewhere, just a sore eyebrow. Her eye isn't cloudy or bloodshot, it's more the lid.

Hopefully pic below. Any opinions greatly appreciated, I'm still learning :)

tinkeye.jpg

Thanks
SJ

It does look a little swollen. :(
I don't really have any idea, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon, but if you're worried I would take her to the vet to be sure.

Thank you Jenova.

I think if it's still like it by the end of the week I will take her in. Just don't want to be a over worried new parent lol

Similar problem

I am going through something very similar, that is exactly how it all started. Follow this link:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

Quote: “The myxomatosis vaccine in Britain (Nobi-vac Myxo) is made from a harmless virus called Shope Fibroma. Antibodies made in response to Shope Fibroma Virus also protect against myxomatosis - this is called cross immunity. Different vaccines (including live attenuated myxomatosis virus) are used elsewhere in Europe, but tend to have more side effects and there are concerns that they are not safe enough for use in pet rabbits”

I have posted some pictures on the thread mentioned by Jenova, Pepper started out just like that.

I would be interested to know whether the administered vaccine is made by Romvac, our batch has expiry date 24.12.2012.

I suggest that you do your homework, print some information and go to your vet ASAP. I do not know whether it was actually required but Pepper (my rabbit) was given six shots of antibiotics but at least she's doing good progress.

Back