• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't find the words...

I am desperately trying to convince my husband that adopting a rabbit as a house pet won't be a bad thing. I know about the bad habits as does he and he is leaning so far to the side of BAD rabbits that he can't stop and see that the good things about rabbits outweigh some of their bad habits. Precautions can be taken and like anything else, you live and learn. He does have allergies...NOT to rabbits but to grasses. We got our allergies tested a couple of weeks ago to find out if he was allergic to rabbits, we always knew he had seasonal and cat allergies. I've researched enough to know that many people with allergies do a lot better with oat hay rather than timothy, so I feel like I'm covering anything that may come up as a problem. He is not a pet guy. Never had one growing up. When we got married I talked him into adopting a dog and she was with us for 14 wonderful years. He is happy to be pet-less now. I AM a pet person. Love love love animals. I so far have been at a loss for words to express the NEED I have for an animal in my life.
I feel like I'm not whole...if you know what I mean. He just doesn't get it. Can anyone help with words that could express my deep need for a unconditionally loving pet?

Is he ambivalent re pets in the house or anti?
Could you volunteer at a shelter to fulfill your rabbity/animal needs?
It's deeply fulfilling, as is fostering.
My partner had a nearly pet-less childhood, he loves our dog, likes our two cats & dislikes my rabbits (emphasis on the my).
He just accepts that I have a need to have animals in the house & thats the end of it.
I also accept that he has hobbies & interests that don't float my boat but I put up with them because he indulges my interests.
He actually even enjoys the tough foster cases I take on now. Think it's the problem solving aspect that appeals to him.
Did he enjoy or resent the 14yrs of dog ownership?

My husband would happily be pet free but he does adore our dog and I always catch him talking to the buns outside ;) could you compromise and have outdoor rabbits? I have a need to have pets and he has just learnt to accept that...if we had mire garden space then I would fill it with more hutches and runs!!

I'd look a it more into the hay fever before getting a rabbit, my ex had hay fever and suffered pretty badly because of it. I wouldn't do that to someone again if I knew up front it could be a problem

Is he ambivalent re pets in the house or anti?
Could you volunteer at a shelter to fulfill your rabbity/animal needs?
It's deeply fulfilling, as is fostering.
My partner had a nearly pet-less childhood, he loves our dog, likes our two cats & dislikes my rabbits (emphasis on the my).
He just accepts that I have a need to have animals in the house & thats the end of it.
I also accept that he has hobbies & interests that don't float my boat but I put up with them because he indulges my interests.
He actually even enjoys the tough foster cases I take on now. Think it's the problem solving aspect that appeals to him.
Did he enjoy or resent the 14yrs of dog ownership?

I guess I'd say he is closer to anti pets but once they're here he is somewhat ambivalent with moments of interaction sporadically.

I would absolutely LOVE to foster...actually I probably wouldn't be able to give up any animal when it was time for adoption, but that is another story.
I attend a bi-monthly "hoppy hour" and get some play time with other people's bunnies and I also volunteer as a rabbit socializer (when rabbits are located/live at area stores, we go and play with them twice a week)

Last edited:
Why does it have to be a house bun why not have outside buns then he cant whinge about it. My OH does not like my buns, doesnt believe in 'pets'

My husband would happily be pet free but he does adore our dog and I always catch him talking to the buns outside ;) could you compromise and have outdoor rabbits? I have a need to have pets and he has just learnt to accept that...if we had mire garden space then I would fill it with more hutches and runs!!

No....I personally don't feel like I could leave a rabbit outside-especially with the crazy MN weather, both winter and then the summer heat/humidity.
Mine would be house rabbits.

My husband = subborn. :roll:

Molly, Thanks for the reply. I went to look at your website...I'm super surprised that with a OH that does not like your rabbits, yet you have an extensive business and yard space dedicated to them.....you GO GIRL. AND everything looks SO CLEAN!

As I mentioned on my previous post, I don't think I'd like my bunny to be outside-especially as a single bun. Other issues with that would be: our yard backs up to DNR land, with many animals that are dangerous for rabbits. Coyotes for one. Also, my husband wouldn't like any sort of shed type building on our property-I guess I'd tend to agree with him. Although it seems we live rurally (with the DNR beyond our yard), but it is really very suburban and I'm sure the city wouldn't allow anything too much.

I'd look a it more into the hay fever before getting a rabbit, my ex had hay fever and suffered pretty badly because of it. I wouldn't do that to someone again if I knew up front it could be a problem

The best part of the allergy testing was finding out he was NOT allergic to rabbits. I'm pretty sure he was hoping he would be. :?
I did a timothy hay "test" on him by placing some in his office a couple of months ago. He did not react whatsoever, but May is usually his worst month so he may react to it now. He takes Zyrtek every day except in the winter because he usually doesn't need it. But you are right, I should try some oat hay on him now during the worst month of his allergies.

Back