• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites - injection or 'spot on' treatment?

Dustyrabbit

Warren Veteran
Don't want to bore you all with a possible mite infection saga but would like to ask if it is best to use the back of the neck topical application of mite treatment or is injection better?

I tried to research via search facility but can't get threads to open for some reason.

Also, I gather cleaning is important to prevent reinfestation, wash fabrics at 60 degrees I know but what about hutch etc? Steam, disinfect, bleach, spray what do you advise please.

Short points here.Ive used Xeno450.
These are drops.
I also cleaned the cage top to bottom.

I dont know how injections work or how good they are but the drops worked fine.

I had a pump spray thing for my two. I just had to rub it on their fur with gloves on. That worked well.

Thanks guys that's helpful. Don't want to intervene anymore than we have to. Wanted to be prepared for when I call vets tomorrow, she's been seen recently so I can just ask for the drops. Thanks again.

Thanks guys that's helpful. Don't want to intervene anymore than we have to. Wanted to be prepared for when I call vets tomorrow, she's been seen recently so I can just ask for the drops. Thanks again.

Have a proper check.Bunnies get mites when resistance is low or challenged.There might be an underlying problem which caused them.xxx

Thankyou, yes that is good advise, perhaps there is something we are missing although she appears well otherwise.

Just her ears are affected, no crusting and perfectly clean inside, dry skin and broken off hair rather than balding/hair loss. Been on and off for a few months. Vet saw her last month for myxi vacc, examined, looked at hair plucks under microscope.

It may be that the vaccination has lowered her immune system :?

Our vets wont vaccinate bunnies already with a mite problem because of high possibility of a lowered immune system

It may be that the vaccination has lowered her immune system :?

Our vets wont vaccinate bunnies already with a mite problem because of high possibility of a lowered immune system

She had had the symptoms on and off prior to the vacc's.

I was thinking that if it is mites it would get quickly worse or could it be that it goes up and down with the immune system?

Vet saw nothing under the microscope. Reading up I see there are 2 types.

Maybe I'll get some echinacea and get her thoroughly checked over. She's moulting, carries a fairly heavy coat and previously has stassis episodes with a moult. Fingers crossed I can keep her well.

The two main mites affecting rabbits are psoroptes cuniculi (ear mites) and cheyletiella parasitovorax (fur mites). For fur mites the injectable treatment is usually three s/c injections of ivermectin at 10-14 day intervals. The spot-on treatments are also based on the active ingredient ivermectin. Confirmed ear mites need further treatment.

There is another spot-on called Revolution here and the U.S. but I think it is called Stronghold in the U.K. which usually only needs one application. Its active ingredient is selamectin. With the spot-ons you need to make sure a bonded partner cannot groom the application area until all is absorbed through the skin, usually 1-2 hours is enough but it is better to check with the vet for their recommendation.

If the vet has checked under a microscope and not found anything it may not be a mite infection, although the mites or eggs are not always detected with a single sample.

Back