• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Furby to the vet - and probably Dylan too

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
My deaf bun Furby still doesn't seem himself.

He had a dental and then two weeks later had an abscess on the side of his face which was lanced and the vet put an antibiotic capsule in the open wound. I've been giving Furby Baytril and Metacam every day as instructed.

Yesterday the scab had come off the wound and a tiny amount of cream liquid came out. He also had a dirty bottom. I pulled off the worst of it but didn't bathe him as it was late and cold.

Today I've bathed his bottom and cut his scut as he had matted fur caked in urine. I was going to squeeze the wound to express any puss but there isn't any - just a red mark where the abscess was. It is completely flat now - nothing to squeeze. I did press it but nothing came out.

When I put Furby back I watched him to see if he would eat but he spent ages washing himself. Then, finally, he ate a blade of grass and three huge dandelion leaves one after the other so I left him to it.

He is eating and pooping OK but just looks 'sad'.

I will take him back to the vet but I know they will be incredibly busy tomorrow and although they would fit me in if I said he needed to be seen asap I am not sure it is that urgent and I don't want to take advantage as they are always fantastic if I have a very poorly bun and let me go straight up there. They know I know my buns.

Furby was soooooo good when I was bathing him. I put his front paws on the side of the basin and just his back end in the water which is how I always do bottom baths. He kept still while I cut his fur too. He did look happier after that so maybe his messy bottom had upset him. He has long fur there so he may benefit from a trim at the vet.

Any advice oh wise ones of RU?

Last edited:
Hello
I don't know much about abscesses but I do believe that you need to trust your own instincts. Sounds like he's had an ordeal but if you don't think he's right, i would pop back for a check up. Don't worry that they are busy.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this things will be along soon.

I don't know what caused the abscess - it seemed to appear from nowhere. Whatever the vet put in the wound after the lancing worked really well as the day after I took him to the vet his face was noticeably less swollen and I never had to express it myself.

The abscess looks absolutely fine now - nothing there other than the red mark where it had been.

The vet did say there was some infection there when Furby had the dental which is why he was on Baytril anyway. I did ask if he could have something stronger following advice on here but the vet was worried about it upsetting Furby's stomach flora and I didn't want to risk it. The Baytril does seem to have worked for the abscess.

I will definitely take Furby back but it would be a lot easier on Wednesday as I am working both jobs tomorrow and doubt they will have any routine appointments left, only emergency ones, and I'm not sure I could justify using up one of those. My vet is a one man practice so only open for a few hours each day.

Will see how he is in the morning and then 'phone the vet for advice.

He seemed happier when I put him back after having bathed him and removed his matted fur. He had a really long wash and then settled down to nom grass and dandelion leaves with extreme enthusiasm. He is still going up and down the ramp from run to hutch as usual.

I am so proud of how good he was when I bathed and trimmed him. He didn't struggle at all - just let me do it. I had to dash out of the room to get the scissors and asked him to stay where he was and he hadn't moved when I got back. (I know he can't hear me but I still chat away to him).

I just want him to be happy and healthy again.

Do you know if the abscess was draining into his mouth ?

If so and the abx bead used was Antirobe that could be why he is still not well.Personally I'd definitely try to speak with the Vet today if at all possible

Sending vibes for him xx

No, the abscess wasn't draining into his mouth as far as I know.

Furby actually seems much more Furby like today:D He was with Faye in their hutch keenly waiting for breakfast and he wolfed down his SS as though he was starving.

I have just got in from work and he is flopped out next to Faye in the hutch. Will check his bottom again to see if it needs another clean.

I don't want to take him to the vet unless I really need to as it stresses him out so much. I think him being deaf makes it worst. I would feel happier if the vet checked his mouth out though as there was infection there before but I don't think he will be able to do that while Furby is conscious as it was the back of the mouth that was a problem.

So, so difficult to know what to do for the best as Furby is eating well now - crunchy and soft food - and he goes off his food after a vet visit.

Thank you for the vibes.

Furby didn't seem keen on brekkie this morning so I made an appointment to take him to the vet tomorrow but at supper time he was enthusiastically nomming pellets and kale. He is keeping his bottom clean again too.

I am taking him anyway as being unsure if he is OK or not is very stressful and I'd feel happier if the vet had another look in his mouth.

Dylan's eye is bad again as well so if it doesn't improve by the time I go to the vet I will take him too. I try hard to avoid vet visits with Dylan as he gets incredibly stressed which isn't good for him at his age.

Vibes for them both would be really appreciated.

Thank you all. Have a horrendously busy day today but will leave work early and have got a friend to take me in his car and to give me a hand with the buns as I will take their companions and I can't physically carry four buns because of my arthritis.

Appointment is at 4.20 pm. Furby seems absolutely fine now - the vet will think I am mad - but Dylan definitely needs to go so Furby is coming too just for my peace of mind.

Dylan has lost weight too. I know he is elderly and has athritis but am worried what else is going on. I doubt he would survive a GA so hope he doesn't need an X-ray.

My own eye drops (I was using for Dylan) have run out so I will have to pay the vet for some more. I could get some more for myself but don't want to leave Dylan that long. His eye is swollen and bloodshot now as well as having the creamy discharge. The vet did warn me his eye would flare up on a regular basis but now it looks sorer than usual I want him to actually check Dylan out rather than me just treating him at home.

We were in there a long time.

My vet has another vet working with him from abroad at the moment so I get two for the price of one, which is good.

Furby's abscess is much better but the vet lanced it again so he could put in another antibiotic capsule. I felt so sorry for poor Furby. The abscess had moved more underneath the jaw. I asked for metaclop as Furby's appetite is very sporadic and so he's had a jab of that. Have to continue with baytril and metacam. Hopefully, this second capsule will clear the abscess up completely as it worked really well last time.

Dylan's eye was really bad by the time I got to the vet. He has an abscess too. I have different eye drops for him and have to give him baytril and he is on metacam anyway. Molly's is similar but nowhere near as bad and I am to give her drops for a week too.

The vet has suggested I try Furby on a type of yoghurt - just a little each day. He wrote it down for me.

Both buns were very good, although they did jump into my arms. I hated seeing Furby's abscess lanced. Do most vets do this without an anaesthetic? I know when Tigger had one I used a different vet practice and they lanced without numbing the area first. It just seems cruel.

Came to £62. Just glad I have two private clients this week.

I now have three bunnies to medicate. Am beginning to feel like a vet nurse but without the training :(

It's pouring here but I am going to clean them all out as it should have been done yesterday but was raining then too.

Thank you all for your support. Any spare vibes for the three of them would be appreciated.

Oofft you really sound like you have such a lot on your plate just now. Vibes for your bunny crew xx

Thank you.

I work two jobs and have a couple of private clients too (am a counsellor) so I will have to juggle things to make sure I have time for all their meds.

I just want them to be OK. It is bad enough having one poorly bun but three :( Don't know how Jane copes as she often has a few ill at the same time.

I don't know how you manage to do it on your own or Jane. I was so stressed with one ill, I don't think I have had 2 ill at the same time. I am back next week I get in on Saturday. If you ever need any help let me know.

Back