• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Outdoor rabbits - knowing when they are ill?

DK_bunnies

New Kit
Hello all,

I have 4 house rabbits that I have been living with for the past few years. We have recently bought a house with a nice garden and have rabbitproofed the garden. The rabbits love being out, and I am thinking of letting them become full-time free range outdoor rabbits.

However, my big concern is how to know if they are falling ill. How can I check their poop? How can I make sure each of them is not changing eating habits due to dental problems? Et.c et.c

What do you guys with free range outdoor rabbits do to make sure that your rabbits are healthy?

Hello :wave:

I'd be concerned about predators - birds, foxes etc in particular - if they are free ranging unsupervised?

But I think you get to know your own buns' behaviours and even when they're outside you can tell. I keep an eye on the litter trays, if anything looks abnormal I check both buns and keep an even closer eye on who is first to rush to the fresh hay etc. Generally with my 2 if they're not competing to be first to the food then there's something off.

I have to agree with sierra that there are bigger concerns. Aside from predators I'd also worry about what they were eating.

My rabbits are outdoors and I've always noticed any changes in behaviour. Not straight away as I've been at work or asleep, but as soon as I would have done if they were indoors. You just know your buns personalities and quirks and when they're behaving differently. What do you do indoors to check that you don't think you'll be able to do with them outdoors?

Why not get a shed and attach or make an aviary? That way they can be out all the time in a secure environment as big as you want it to be and you can still check poos and stuff. And of course you can let them out to have free range of the garden when you're about. I still noticed changed in my rabbit's behaviour when they were outside. I noticed if they were quiet or off their food. In fact they are now inside because one of them is very ill. :(

I let my rabbits out in daylight hours and get them back in at dusk.

They are housed in a Dog Kennel/Run, purposely adapted. Therefore they are never confined to a hutch.

Works perfectly well. Their quality of life is brilliant!

I think you get to know their routines and behaviours, and then any change needs to be acted on, same as with indoor bunnies.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like I don't need to worry that much. I have to admit that I won't be out in the garden as much probably, so I won't hang out with them like I do inside. That's why I am concerned if I will notice change in eating habits or if one is acting strangely. I plan to take them in when we get to Autumn and then let them be house rabbits until Spring time.

Also, one of my rabbits is so nervous, that I can't touch her. I doubt I will be able to come near her at all once she moves out, so I won't be able to check if she has any problems. This is my big concern. It is mostly because of her though that I am thinking of letting them be fulltime outdoor bunnies, because inside she is so nervous and just sits in a corner and never moves, but outside she does binkies all the time and is so happy and energetic.

I, also, am not out with my rabbits all day.

But I have always found it easy to detect if something is amiss. Lots of opportunities whilst letting them out, getting them in, observing behaviour in garden etc. My last rabbit retreated back into the run much earlier than usual and declined his dusk treat, which was odd and an obvious sign that all was not well.

The rabbit I have now will not be picked up without a fight. However she is quite easy to chivvy back to base at dusk as she knows a treat is waiting. Having said that, she is completely out of her routine since we lost her partner. We are getting another rabbit at the weekend, so hopefully she will regain her confidence and be a happy bunny once more.

Back