• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

snugs pet and equine online shop selling very small hutches

My bun lived in the green hutch for her 8 years. Horrific I know, but it never did get too hot or cold, it was quite a good temperature. (Just to answer the hot/cold thing)

I wish they would change their sizes, but I think they do sell a lot of them :( always a lot on ebay. They were in P@H for long enough.

I've contacted them via their website.

They asked for a phone number so I typed 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' Hope this doesn't cause problems :oops:

Dunno if it went through but I sent this

The plastic rabbit hutches on offer are far too small to comfortably house a rabbit. The Rabbit welfare fun recommends at least 72x24X24" for a hutch along with an attached 96x48" run.
With this in mind I hope you will consider selling hutches which meet these requirements rather than the hutches which are currently available on the website.

I've sent a email also regarding the size of these little houses if I get a reply I'll let you no :wave:

i always put my mobile number because i never answer that phone. i put what i wanted to in my message anyway so they might email me back. probably won't change he sizes but at least we tried. most companies i email say that it isn't the law :roll: but better to try and i mentioned to them that other companies are now making efforts to provide more spacious housing.

i hate the thought of a bun being stuck in there. :(

I've contacted them via their website.

They asked for a phone number so I typed 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' Hope this doesn't cause problems :oops:

If you did not quote a valid phone number they may just ignore your email - as far as they are concerned you could just be a troll.

I've got a reply, summarises into

Hello,

They have checked the RWAF guidelines and the RWAF themselves state:' A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'.'

RSPCA [main] site has a pdf leaflet on rabbit care, its states - 180cm length x 90 cm width x70cm height for 2 rabbits. The [company] rabbit hutches measure 117cm length x 46cm width x 47cms width. Therefore, this product is more than adequate for one rabbit based on those measurements.

Products are made with UV stabilised material and have all been tested for temperature against a wooden counterpart.
:wave:

Last edited:
Whether or not it's suitable in summer or winter it's still plastic. It's still chewable etc. It's not secure enough, I'm sure a predator could chew his way through it.

I'm surprised it doesn't have a ramp in order for the hutch to be placed on a wooden run :lol::lol: Ugly accommodation....

That's a terrible response! They're assuming that because there's only one rabbit instead of two the space should be halved? Utterly ridiculous!!

Also they're now suggesting that the hutch is only for one rabbit rather than 2? What about keeping animals in pairs and all that.......awful...:censored:

i got the same reply. i emailed back to explain that the minimum recommended size is the same whether you have one rabbit or two and that you don't halve the size to get the minimum space for one rabbit. :roll: also explained that rabbits are social animals and i think more research is needed on their part.

doesn't seem like they care though. :(

They have checked the RWAF guidelines and the RWAF themselves state:' A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'.'

RSPCA [main] site has a pdf leaflet on rabbit care, its states - 180cm length x 90 cm width x70cm height for 2 rabbits. The [company] rabbit hutches measure 117cm length x 46cm width x 47cms width. Therefore, this product is more than adequate for one rabbit based on those measurements.

That's terribly selective of them - the paragraph immediately above the 'hutch should only be a shelter' informs that the hutch they refer to as a shelter should be at least 6x2x2.

It may also worth pointing out to them that the RSPCA leaflet recommends for 2 rabbits for the simple reason that it recommends that rabbits are not kept alone, in line with the requirements for company in the Animal Welfare Act. Also the guidelines on sizing to comply with the animal welfare act refer to a minimum of 3 hops and the ability to stretch up and lie in any direction without touching the sides...hence you can't simply halve the requirements for a single rabbit.

In the absence of a product meeting the minimum requirements of the Animal Welfare Act, it could be argued that it isn't fit for purpose and trading standards might be interested. It would be nice if they did actually take a stand on this and did something about it, although I suspect it's not high up their priority list compared to rogue traders fleecing old ladies for dodgy re-roofing.

My reply ...

Code:
Hello,
I am aware of the RWAF's recommended rabbit housing.  It's also mentioned on the website that rabbits need a hutch where they can hope sideways 3 times, lay down fully whilst stretching their legs and also stand up on their hind feet without bumping their heads on the roof of the hutch. 

What the RWAF have investigated is that one hop of a rabbit is about 2 ft which is why the minimum length of a rabbit hutch should be 6ft. 
Furthermore, a full stretch of a medium/small rabbit measures 2ft which is why it needs to be 2ft wide. The height of an average sized rabbit is 2ft hence the recommended height of the hutch.

The hutch is not just a shelter it's a safe base for the rabbits to retreat if they sense danger, snuggle up inside at night due to the cold and the basic type of housing.
The following measurements given by the RWAF aren't just for 'two' rabbits but for one as well. Just because one rabbit might reside in your sized hutches doesn't mean it's one hop isn't 2 ft and it's body doesn't measure 2ft standing up or laying down either.

'The main RSPCA site has a pdf leaflet on rabbit care which can be downloaded - its states - 180cm length x 90 cm width x70cm height for 2 rabbits', you are not selling hutches this size [Which the RSPCA recommend] but have halved the size because you think that one rabbit's homing requirements is half of two rabbits. Which is untrue as I have explained above.

You site also does not mention the need for exercise runs for rabbits. If a buyer was not to know this, they could just purchase an unsuitable hutch from your company and keep the rabbit in there for the rest of it's life, which can be 13 years, if a rabbit is stimulated through its suitable environment,food etc. 

I am hoping you will think about what I have explained above and stop selling these hutches.

I have recently researched guinea pig housing requirements and your sized 'rabbit hutch' isn't even suitable for one guinea pig. I hope you will acknowledge my points and help the progress of rabbit welfare.
Sources:
http://www.guineapigwelfare.org.uk/guinea-pig-care/housing/
http://www.northeastguineapigrescue.co.uk/outdoorhousing/

Kindest Regards,
Mr xxxxxxxxxx

My reply ...

Code:
Hello,
I am aware of the RWAF's recommended rabbit housing.  It's also mentioned on the website that rabbits need a hutch where they can hope sideways 3 times, lay down fully whilst stretching their legs and also stand up on their hind feet without bumping their heads on the roof of the hutch. 

What the RWAF have investigated is that one hop of a rabbit is about 2 ft which is why the minimum length of a rabbit hutch should be 6ft. 
Furthermore, a full stretch of a medium/small rabbit measures 2ft which is why it needs to be 2ft wide. The height of an average sized rabbit is 2ft hence the recommended height of the hutch.

The hutch is not just a shelter it's a safe base for the rabbits to retreat if they sense danger, snuggle up inside at night due to the cold and the basic type of housing.
The following measurements given by the RWAF aren't just for 'two' rabbits but for one as well. Just because one rabbit might reside in your sized hutches doesn't mean it's one hop isn't 2 ft and it's body doesn't measure 2ft standing up or laying down either.

'The main RSPCA site has a pdf leaflet on rabbit care which can be downloaded - its states - 180cm length x 90 cm width x70cm height for 2 rabbits', you are not selling hutches this size [Which the RSPCA recommend] but have halved the size because you think that one rabbit's homing requirements is half of two rabbits. Which is untrue as I have explained above.

You site also does not mention the need for exercise runs for rabbits. If a buyer was not to know this, they could just purchase an unsuitable hutch from your company and keep the rabbit in there for the rest of it's life, which can be 13 years, if a rabbit is stimulated through its suitable environment,food etc. 

I am hoping you will think about what I have explained above and stop selling these hutches.

I have recently researched guinea pig housing requirements and your sized 'rabbit hutch' isn't even suitable for one guinea pig. I hope you will acknowledge my points and help the progress of rabbit welfare.
Sources:
http://www.guineapigwelfare.org.uk/guinea-pig-care/housing/
http://www.northeastguineapigrescue.co.uk/outdoorhousing/

Kindest Regards,
Mr xxxxxxxxxx

:thumb:

Back