• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much does desexing cost in the UK (on average?)

Disney

Alpha Buck
As title says, I am curious. A few rescues here don't send out their buns desexed, so I'd like to be prepared for that cost. Obviously it may not be the same here, but I'd like to at least have an idea.

Thanks! :wave:

Hi there' Neutering or castrating a boy or spaying a girl costs about £50 for a boy and around £60 for a girl.

Charlie cost £55 but that was over 3 and a half years ago so it'll have gone up a lot at the vets I used since then

I paid £40 for BB to be done.(male)
I paid £120 for Mrs but there were complications.....I think it was going to be about £60-70.

At my vets it was £80 for Beano to be spayed including post up check up. For Boris it was £60 including pre op check up, post up check up and the two weeks course of baytril he had to have afterwards due to an infection/bruising.

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking it'll be around the $100-150 mark gauging by your responses. Thanks! :D

Such a weird term, desexing, because youre not removing or changing their biological sex :?

It varies a lot, mind. I've seen people on here say anything between £40 and £120. And different places include different things, with some it includes things like the metacam to take home, and the pre and post op checks, but with other places it doesnt or only includes certain things, so you pay extra for them on top of the quoted price. Your best indication is to ask your local vets. Before getting the rabbits, you should ideally find a decent vet anyway, so it could be part of the questions you ask then.

Last edited:
Such a weird term, desexing, because youre not removing or changing their biological sex :?

Old fashioned term from when people started castrating and removing the uterus of their pets. De-sexing as in taking away the urge for sex. Just stuck I guess haha. I prefer it to spaying/neutering because I'm lazy and it's 'one word fits all.' :p

There's two bun savvy vets in my state, so I'm choosing the closest one. Both recommended by all the rescues I've seen, so should be good! Definitely a good idea to ask them though. :thumb:

Old fashioned term from when people started castrating and removing the uterus of their pets. De-sexing as in taking away the urge for sex. Just stuck I guess haha. I prefer it to spaying/neutering because I'm lazy and it's 'one word fits all.' :p

There's two bun savvy vets in my state, so I'm choosing the closest one. Both recommended by all the rescues I've seen, so should be good! Definitely a good idea to ask them though. :thumb:

Ahh I just use neutering, as that is for both sexes.

Fair enough, I must admit the cultural differences in the English language make the internet a very confusing place! :lol:

Yup, its weird the vocabulary has changed to mean such different things.... Imagine the looks I would get if I said loudly in a public place in America 'can I bum a fag?' - especially as I'm female :lol: . (translation: may I have one of your cigarettes?)

Yup, its weird the vocabulary has changed to mean such different things.... Imagine the looks I would get if I said loudly in a public place in America 'can I bum a fag?' - especially as I'm female :lol: . (translation: may I have one of your cigarettes?)

I always giggle when Americans say '***** pack' and they always giggle when I talk about my thongs! (aka flip flops :lol:)

Most people here only use neuter for males and spay for females, so people usually say 'fix' when they're talking about both sexes. I've heard desexed used here as well.

My male buns were neutered for $55 each :)

My girls cost me £69 each. Not had a boy done yet.

And yes, de-sexing is the term in Australia, I have a few friends there, and most vets will say de-sex as well.

Back