• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feeling depressed

Canidae

Warren Scout
In 3 weeks we will return to the vet for another x-ray to see if the bladder stone is getting any bigger. In the meantime I have changed his diet which Bo isn't happy with. All bought treats and pellets have been stopped and he only has weeds, hay, broccoli, greens and herbs. He misses his woodlands carrot crunchys as he used to have one each morning. He had a tantrum his morning when I offered him his broccoli although he is eating it now.

He is also being bathed nearly every day as I fear urine scalding/flies. He is such a good boy and sits in the sink and accepts being dried with the hairdryer with no fuss but this takes an hour each day and my time with him is spent putting him through something he can't enjoy.

I just feel down today and scared that the stone is still growing. His last op was only two months ago. He can't have operations every two months for the rest of his life. I don't know what to do.

Bo is so lucky that you are looking after him so well.

All you need to do right now is enjoy today. That's all he is worried about- today, and living as he lives can make life easier and less stressful for us. He doesn't worry about what may or may not happen, he just wants happiness and you're giving him that :)

Back