• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shivering, laying down/stretching tum on floor not eating ideas please :(

rescue buns

Warren Scout
I'm new to buns and feel sick at the prospect of having to go through seeing a bun in pain again. Last week had to put Nutmeg to sleep:cry: Heres my diary of events to make simple.

Sat - 3.30pm buns got their first ever jags. Didnt come out to play rest of day just snuggled and slept.

Sun - buns back to normal waiting for me to let them in garden and gave them brekky. Added 6 excel adult pellets to their muesli to slowly ween them off muesli. QUESTION.... Was six too much for first time? Ran out of Ings hay so had to get hay from local farm they have never had, not that keen on it. Hoping that changes.

Mon(today) - Rebecca wont come out to get her brekky(usualy climbing on door to get out). Tinkerbell fine tho. Rebecca is shivering. She then went inside and done a big stretch,tum on floor kind of thing.

So im thinking its rotten me for giving them too many pellets, should have started with one tiny pellet maybe?:oops: Or is this reaction of jag that can come 48hours later? I dont know how buns are effected with jag. Im betting its the Excell tho. Shivering worrying me, but then everything does since bun newbie.

Any advice appreciated. I'm housebound the now as 2 of my young daughters got chickenpox. So if you suggest a vet trip, will have to be later when OH home:(

I think you know what we're going to say....they need a vet trip now! When's the OH home?

Shivering and pressing their tummies to the floor is a very worrying sign! Are they eating anything this morning, and what? What are their poos like in consistency and quantity?

(sorry if this sounds brusque, I don't mean it to, but I only have half a brain working and one hand to type. Just couldn't read and run!)

I am afraid that your Rabbit does need to be seen by a Vet

Given the loss of Nutmeg which involved a haemorrhage from her rear end did you ask the Vet about the possibility of VHD ?

I am so sorry :cry:

Whilst UC is a real possibility as your Rabbits are not yet vaccinated against VHD I would strongly advise you to speak with the Vet again ASAP and request a Post Mortem examination. If it were to be VHD then obviously that will have implications for your remaining Rabbits :cry:

I posted this on your thread about Nutmeg's tragic passing :cry:

I am so sorry to be mentioning this on here, but I feel it to be a matter of urgency that you discuss the VHD issue with the Vet.*

RIP Nutmeg :cry:
I really would call the emergency Vet now to at least obtain professional advise if you cannot get the sick Rabbit to them until later

Meantime you need to bring the sick Rabbit in and provide her with a heatpad. Try to get her to drink water, so offer this from a bowl as sick Rabbits tend to prefer a bowl rather than a bottle.

Has she poo'd overnight ? If not then this is an indication that her GI tract has shut down, so do not attempt to syringe feed her until a Vet has examined her. If she has a full obstruction in her guts syringe feeding will make her worse.

Do you know which Vaccination she had, VHD or Myxomatosis or the new combined Myxo/VHD one ?

I hope I am wrong about the VHD issue, but it is absolutely essential you discuss the possibility with the Vet

Last edited:
Do you have a relative or friendly neighbour who might take your bunny to the vet for you? Or come and sit with your kids whilst you pop out. I do appreciate how difficult it must be with little ones, especially when they are poorly too. I can't add any more advice than has already been given but certainly do bring bun inside, warm her up and offer her some fluids immediately whilst you think about what you can do x

Thanks for replies. Sorry meant to ask about that possibility. Just struck household with chickenpox. Will ask this time. Got app at vets at 9.45. Phoning around for help to watch girls. Thanks everyone. Get bk to you when home.

Sending vibes...hope the vet can shed some light.
Worst case could you take the kids to the vet with you if you have a car? I took my daughter to the vet when she had chickenpox -she was 3- as my dogs was very sick....I called my vet and she made sure the surgery was empty. Glad i took my dog as her uterus perforated and she had emergency surgery 15 mins after we arrived.
Really hope its good news!
Hope the kids get better soon too! x

My mum was off ill, lucky for me, and being my mum came and watched my youngest two even though not well, shes a mum in a million:love:. phew! Eldest came with me as she is chickenpox free. Took both rebecca and Tinkerbell to vet. Vet said she had checked her over on sat before vaccine(myxo) but did another check today. Which involved checking inside her mouth with scope and feeling tummy, checking ears etc. She then let her down to check her moving about. She said everything fine. So she suggested i leave her in for observation today and phone back at 4 if not heard from them before then. Felt rotten bringing tinkerbell home alone. Had 3 very close bonded buns, then 2 once Nutmeg got put to sleep now feel like im breaking another bond. How will tinkerbell react when i bring Rebecca home smelling of vets. Im new to buns and not quite understanding the phrase "bonding" since all 3 found were close to begin with. Will this alter their "bond". Said to vet about vhd thingy but she just shook her head and looked at me strangely. As said on previous post in another thread, im strongly thinking of changing vets. Does anyone know how much staying in for observation costs roughly? My free 4wk pet plan runs out tom that came with the spca rehoming scheme. My 3 buns costing me a small fortune, with drops,vaccines,then planned spays, all of which not covered in insurance. I hope if anything is found im covered under this pet plan. Time to renew, into full policy me thinks. Expensive interest i have:lol: Hope they find something, and not a case of punt out to be back in again. Im a vet visit yo yo. Not good for my blood pressure, i just worry worry. OH says if im not on this forum,im out with buns,ordering for buns, talking buns and you know what he's right. I cant get them out my head,sounds kinda crazy:shock:

Well done for getting her to the vets :) Thank goodness for your mum in a million :)

With regards to bonding, I would say take Tinkerbell to collect her and have them travel home together in the same carrier and that will hopefully help them remind themselves they are bonded. Generally after a vet trip they don't forget they are bonded but because one smells different they often don't realise that is the same rabbit that went, so by travelling them home together, they will arrive home smelling mostly the same.

Have you asked on the forum for recommendations of better vets?

I hope that the vets can help her and find out what's wrong.

Please keep us updated :)

Well done for getting her to the vets :) Thank goodness for your mum in a million :)

With regards to bonding, I would say take Tinkerbell to collect her and have them travel home together in the same carrier and that will hopefully help them remind themselves they are bonded. Generally after a vet trip they don't forget they are bonded but because one smells different they often don't realise that is the same rabbit that went, so by travelling them home together, they will arrive home smelling mostly the same.

Have you asked on the forum for recommendations of better vets?

I hope that the vets can help her and find out what's wrong.

Please keep us updated :)
Thanks very much, i will do that then. Where is best place to post vet recommendation question so i get most amount of replies do you think?

Back