• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in hutch...

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Ok so I'm v worried. Just gone outside to get the buns to come inside for a run and there was blood on the newspaper on the hutch floor. I have put it down for the first timw today following advice on RU. They have torn bits up and chewed / munched some.

I've found a blood stain on the paper. Probs 4 inch square (i know blood spreads out tho). At least i think it's blood. No marks / stains on the buns though. Do they bleed like bitches do when they are in season? Like i say though no stains on them. Confused! :?

Rabbits don't come into season :) are you sure it's blood? Their urine can go from orange to red after eating certain foods. You can mop some up with kitchen roll and if it clots it's blood, if not it's urine.

Rabbits dont have seasons they are induced ovulators, they dont bleed. Are you sure what you are seeing is blood, and not their wee turned a funny colour because of carrot or something? Remember blood goes a browny colour when dry.

Thanks for the super quick responses guys!!

Well Bramble just weed inside and hers is yellow, creamy coloured and theyve eaten tge same today...

did you give her any carrot or anything? sometimes wee turns reddy orange from foods. Or maybe she had an itch and bit herself a bit too hard, that happened my bunny once. Good luck, hope you find the cause soon :) x

Mine eat EXACTLY the same but my boy's wee is yellow/cream and a bit cloudy and hers is always bright orange/red

Just different metabolisms I guess? I will bet you £5 it is wee wee not blood :D

:wave: thanks guys

I kept the paper inside all night and it was still red (not brown like blood)

I assume it must have been wee wee! Phew!! :D

Back