• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harlequin lop personality?

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on the nature of Harlequin lop buns?

My other half may be taking one in due to the owner not being able to care for him any more. He is 11 months old and fully grown.

No health issues and neutered.

Apparently he is agressive, I am not sure whether this is towards people or towards other rabbits, but he lived alone previously. I realise this aggressiveness may be because he has not been given much attention, but just hoping for some advice on his behalf?

When I got my benji he seemed to hate me, but after I gained his trust our bond has grown and will continue to grow.

My other half has another rabbit who is around the same age who is also netured. He's hoping in the future we may be able to try bonding them. She has dental issues, but I believe the bigger the jaw of the rabbit the less chance there is of teeth issues?

Generally what are the personalities and characteristics like??

I don't think really colour makes much different. As a rule, some lops are laid back- mine are all lovable hooligans though (including Autumn, my harli lop).

I would be inclined to check for health issues with the vet and then do as you have done with Benji and work to gain his trust and respect his space.

My advice specifically for aggression is that it is key to not take it personally because it is down the rabbit. Aggression is generally the 'fight or flight' reaction to adrenalin, and ofte it's brought on by fear, so your boyfriend needs to work to show him he is safe. This might help. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

each rabbit is an individual just lke humans, so will have there own different personalties, lops tend to be laid back, well mini lops are, i once had a french lop
she was aggressive through fear at first she was a rescue rabbit but we soon tamed her and gained her trust

Thank you both for your replies, yes they certainly do have thier different personalities ;)

As he is 11 months, hopefully dental issues would have come to light by nw, as with Benji it became apparent in the first 4/5 of owning him that he would need dentals every 3 months.

Sky-O that bonding with your bunny article is brilliant, it will come in very useful, thanks for that :)

I just hope me and my boyfriend can gain his trust over time, and that the previous owner hasnt mistreated him in any way.

im sure you wll have him on correct diet, just get vets to check his teeth regularly when you go for vaccinations, dental problems can happen at any age,l so always worth keeping a check

Dental wise, dental problems can take years to show up and any rabbit can potentially be struck with them, so I would just accept him for who he is but be aware that he, like any other bunny, can develop dental issues at any point (and it gets more likely as they get older).

Yes definately, for some reason the previous owner has still got him on junior pellets? So I will change him over within a ten day period to the adult SS pellets.

He doesnt look like a viscous bun though, Im hoping its just that his owner thought the trust would be gained from the minute go!

Yes definately, for some reason the previous owner has still got him on junior pellets? So I will change him over within a ten day period to the adult SS pellets.

He doesnt look like a viscous bun though, Im hoping its just that his owner thought the trust would be gained from the minute go!

well done for taking him on and offering him a forever home :thumb: spoil us with photos when he has setttled :wave:

Like the others have said, all buns are different but if he's anything like my Harli, you're in for a treat!

This is Mr Flix, and he is totally nuts! :lol:
P8281683.jpg

I love Harlequins, they're so gorgeous (not that I'm biased or anything! ;) )

Well done for taking him in, I hope you manage to gain his trust. It can be a long process but it's SO worth it :love:

PS- We need piccies when he arrives :D

06042012022.jpg

sorry not a very good photo

This is Mr Shelby ( he was called Shelby as his previous owner were sold him as a girl :roll:)
he is the sweetest funniest little bun - however when i took him on his front teeth were very long and crooked and he had a huge abscess on his face and also needed his back teeth doing. He has since had his front teeth removed as they needed burring every two weeks. :love:

Aww they are both GORGEOUS :love::love:

My partner has done some research and he has read that gnerally their personalitys are very good, and they are of a relaxed nature, which sounds promising :)

I camt wait to meet this little bun today, the previous owner did not even know if it's a male or female. After having a good look at him I would say he is a male, no idea why but I get a good feeling.

Also, he is neutured but not vaccinated?! And still being fed junior pellets.

:?

Hi
We have a harlequin dwarf lop. He's curious but cautious, point blank refuses to be picked up but otherwise he's super cute (not that I'm biased or anything!!).
He's lazy during the day but hyper in the morning and evening which is normal and fun, most mischievous at night, usually at bed time!! He likes to throw his litter tray about, always about the same time, everyday! I'm convinced this means, get off the sofa and come and play! Silly thing is, he could just get on the sofa but he doesn't!

Ps. Look forward to pictures and an update :)

Last edited:
I've always found harlequins to be real softies and totally adorable. :love::love:

Well actually all bunnies are adorable.:thumb::thumb:

Sorry haven't read the whole thread so not sure if this is any help to you, but I don't think breed/colour really affects personality too much. I have a harlequin, but an uppy eared one, she was a nightmare before her spay, very destructive, grunted, lunged and bit anyone near her. She had a bad case of hutch agression! However after her spay she calmed down and now, about 2 years on and with a husbun she is much 'better' but will still bite and let you know if something doesn't suit! She'll lunge at certain people but she's fine with me, we have an understanding :lol: She's a madam, but that's why I love her :love:

Thank you for all your comments :)

I went to see little man today, and they confirmed he is indeed a boy as I thought, and that he was only neutered 2 weeks ago. I know with my Benji that it took at least 6-8 weeks before he started to calm down!

I picked him up and he didnt struggle, and let me stroke his head. After a few mins he gave me a small nip, but I expected that because my buns dont like being held and give me a nip when they want to be put back on the floor!

He is stunning though, very very nervous and scared :(

My harlequin is very nervous but that is because he was in rescue having come from an abused background. Took me a year to get him to let me touch his nose. But wouldn't swop him for the world as he's so handsome :love:

I think mini lops tend to be a bit more active than dwarfs who are more laid back in general. My harliquin coloured bunsters are totally different. There is a breed called harlequin as well as a colour I think. I would reserve judgement on the aggression until you know the conditions he's come from, it could be fear, hunger, mistreatment, territorial behaviour if he's not neutered or he might just be grumpy. My Toby is grumpy and growls when you go near him put your hand in the hutch but he's never bitten.

Im really not sure whether he is a mini lop or dwarf lop?

I am hoping to see him again later on today, so I will try and get a piccie of him to upload!!

Back