• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honey Bunny the slimming queen

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Tell me the truth... does my rabbits bum look big in this?

fatbun.jpg

She weighed 3.28kg at the vet about 4 weeks ago and we weighed her on the bathroom scales and she came in at 3.2 (which I guess could be 3.2 or 3.24?). The vet reckons she should be between 2.5 and 2.8 and that she should lose about 1% of her body weight a month.

Does that sound about right and have we made her lose too much too quickly? We've cut back on things like brocolli and carrot and she only gets herbs as treats now along with about 5 science select pellets a day and a feungreek crunchie.

Last edited:
have you got a side view photo, does she move around alot or not? could you encourage her to play and forage for her food

have you got a side view photo, does she move around alot or not? could you encourage her to play and forage for her food

Aye the vet tried to tell us to lead her about with treats, there's no way she'd do it though as she despises the mere sight of people.

She does dig quite a lot but when she's not digging she tends not to do a lot.

honey003.jpg

honey002.jpg

Erm, I think she looks gorgeous! I'm not sure if she's a bit podgy, but I do think she's very beautiful :love::love::love:

Could you maybe feed her pellets in a treat ball? And maybe hide food around for her to find?

Also, depending on what you feed, a reduction of pellets might be worthwhile too.

In my eyes, in those photos, she does look a bit on the larger side of life, however, that can be down to the photo and it's very hard to gage without seeing the actual rabbit. I have some photos on some rabbits, all taken on the same day, where they can look underweight, healthy, and overweight all due to angle and position. So a photo is not particularly reliable.

tabby rabbit is definitely fat (fatter than your bun, crunchie) and is on a diet. i am too generous in the winter as my house isn't heated and i want them to have enough food to use for energy to keep warm. matthew is sleek and gorgeous, because his sister pushes him out of the way and eats all the dinner. but she, the little madam, is a porker. poor tabs, she'll be fine in few weeks. i cut the pellets right back, crunchie, and it usually works. she's on five morning, five evening at the moment. if she doesn't look better in a week or so, the pellets will go and i'll start being less generous with the veg. hay is always available, as usual.

We've just been told by our vet that we need to cut back on the concentrates so it's hay and water and half the amount of normal pellets at the moment. See how that goes and then re evaluate as necessary.

:oops::oops::oops:

I was told off by the vet about Gaga's weight last year :oops: I cut the pellets right down to a handful per day, upped the veg to two handfuls per day and have been quite strict with that so that the buns will eat hay (if there's only hay and they're hungry, they'll have to eat it), Sounds harsh, but it has worked a treat!

Before, she wasn't energetic at all, and often had a smelly bum as she couldn't reach. Within a couple of weeks of her diet I noticed a difference in her energy levels and she's now a very healthy, happy bunny. In fact, she's often the first out now when I open the shed door! I bought one of these, too, which they have the pellets in: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wobbling-...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3a68e375e1 It means they have to work for it :)

Here's Gaga before (around 10 months ago)
P6270928.jpg

And now:
P4044078.jpg

I think she looks so much happier in the second pic :)

Hope that helps! Honey's beautiful by the way! :love:

When Honey lived with Roly he was always the greedy one and he'd scoff more than her. The vet said no more than 20g pellets a day and there's no way she gets anything like as much as that now or even ever got anything like that. She's a great hay eater and eats a lot of timothy and meadow hay with some green oat hay thrown in as a treat.

I think we might have to join the big bunny club with Nutmeg. I think she's getting porky. It's the Fibafirst, I (a) can't work how much to give them and (b) she manages to eat it all without Smudge's 'help'. So I'm putting them back on normal pellets once I can go out and get some.

When Honey lived with Roly he was always the greedy one and he'd scoff more than her. The vet said no more than 20g pellets a day and there's no way she gets anything like as much as that now or even ever got anything like that. She's a great hay eater and eats a lot of timothy and meadow hay with some green oat hay thrown in as a treat.

Then you are doing all the right things and just need to wait for the weight to drop off. I do think she looks a little porky, but it's very difficult to tell from photos as some buns are all fluff!

Do you think you could encourage her to become more people-friendly, as I agree with your vet that that defnintely helps with exercise. She is a real stunner though, I've always loved your Honey.

Do you think you could encourage her to become more people-friendly, as I agree with your vet that that defnintely helps with exercise. She is a real stunner though, I've always loved your Honey.

I'm not sure, she much prefers her own company and I can't very well tempt her with treats any more. :lol:

Jay-Jay has been chasing her about a lot which should also help, he's a very busy bunny so maybe he'll chase her about some more for us.

I was told off by the vet about Gaga's weight last year :oops: I cut the pellets right down to a handful per day, upped the veg to two handfuls per day and have been quite strict with that so that the buns will eat hay (if there's only hay and they're hungry, they'll have to eat it), Sounds harsh, but it has worked a treat!

Before, she wasn't energetic at all, and often had a smelly bum as she couldn't reach. Within a couple of weeks of her diet I noticed a difference in her energy levels and she's now a very healthy, happy bunny. In fact, she's often the first out now when I open the shed door! I bought one of these, too, which they have the pellets in: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wobbling-...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3a68e375e1 It means they have to work for it :)

Here's Gaga before (around 10 months ago)
P6270928.jpg

And now:
P4044078.jpg

I think she looks so much happier in the second pic :)

Hope that helps! Honey's beautiful by the way! :love:

Well done - she looks great!

Honey is now weighing in at 2.71kg and is finally within a healthy weight range. :D

She might end up losing more as we're not going to alter her diet. She gets no fruit, no root veg and is only given spring greens, herbs and baby leaf salad along with a few science select pellets.

It has to be said I still think she looks chubbly but the vets scales don't lie.

Back