• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could she be pregnant?

ferretfreak4

Warren Scout
Hi guys, i am a little confused and looking for some help

i got my male rabbit Bigwig neutered about a year ago and all went well, i bonded him to my girl Chunky and they have been living together for about 9/10 months now, they get along very well and snuggle together at night

now i am slightly worried she is pregnant, but i really don't know how, she isn't neutered (i just can't afford it at the moment) and has made several nests since she has been in with Bigwig, but nothing has ever come of it as he is of course neutered, but over the past week she has put on a LOT of weight and built herself another nest and become all hormonal and started grunting and lunging at both me and Bigwig so for now i have taken Bigwig out until she settles down

Is there any possibility that she could be pregnant? bearing in mind they have been in together for near enough a year now with no babies

thanks for any help

I am no expert but I doubt it

She is probably going mad with all the hormones,I took on my pair of dutch buns from a lady on here 5 years ago and only the male was neutered,the female was doing all that you described and so I rang the vet and he said to bring her in next day for her spay:wave:

If she hasnt had contact with any other rabbits apart from your neutered male, then no, she is not pregnant. Its probably a phantom pregnancy, where she believes she is, and her body actually goes through the motions of pregnancy. They are quite stressful so when you have saved up and the phantom pregnancy has passed it would be a good idea to get her spayed asap.

If your male has been neutered I don't see how she can be pregnant.

Could be a phantom pregnancy - which is probably very unpleasant for her.

I would suggest getting your female spayed as soon as possible, which should halt this hormonal behaviour (aggression, nest-building etc). Unspayed females run a very high risk (about 80%) of developing uterine cancer.

As you've separated them, you may well have to re-bond.

thanks guys, i knew i was probably just being paranoid :roll:

I fully intend to get her spayed asap, but it is hard trying to save up when i have a lot of animals and am a student, but she will be done as soon as i have the money

Is there any chance she could have mated with a wild rabbit? Do you let her free range at all?
Fingers crossed it's just a phantom pregnancy- they are pretty common in rabbits especially in spring xx

In a real pregnancy, they don't usually make a nest until they are virtually ready to give birth (same day or so) so if the nest has been there a while it is certainly phantom...especially if she hasn't been near an unneutered male!

The increasing day length will probably have triggered her mating hormones. I appreciate that money is tight but I would prioritise spaying as soon as you can; you risk losing their bond completely and that isn't fair on either of the bunnies to be separated from their companion. Good luck x

Back