• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Gut Stasis - Advice needed

Kazucu

New Kit
Hi just wondered if anyone could give me some advice. My bun stopped eating on Thursday and took her to vets at 6pm where she was given a gut stimulant and sent home. At 9.30pm she had deteriorated and was taken to the vets where she wsas kept for 2 nights. They had x-rayed and there was a mass and they continued to treat to get her guts moving. She was brighter yesterday morning and cos of the weekend I brought her home. Although much brighter than when at vets she is not right and still looks bloated. She will eat some greens but after eating wants to lie down. She is passing small amounts, not the usual quantity. I think she is still uncomfortable but in between bouts of lieing down looking miserable, is bright and moving around as normal.
I am giving Emeprid by syringe from the vets every 6 hours. After this length of time should I be worried about what is causing this.

Did the Vet monitor if the mass is moving ?

Was your Rabbit sent home with pain relief for you to administer ?

Did the Vet explain the importance of fluids and did he/she say exactly where in the GI tract the mass is ??

She was only sent home with the Emeprid, not sure what it is but presume this is just a gut stimulant. They only x rayed her the once early on, but seemed happy that her gut had gone down a bit and the fact that she had produced a few tiny droppings whilst she was there.
She is drinking so is getting fluids and eating some greens, doesn't want her usual pellets, and I was going to syring feed some pineapple juice, but have just read one of posts where it says that only fresh pineapple juice should be given, and I only have the long life.

So the Vet did not say where in the GI tract the mass is ? This would be very relevant with regards to treatment

The lack of pain relief is also very worrying :cry: Can you contact the Vet today to try to obtain some ?

No they did not tell me where the mass was and although she was on pain relief at the vets, they wanted to get her off it as they said this could also slow the gut down. Have you heard this before or do you still think I should try to get some?

No they did not tell me where the mass was and although she was on pain relief at the vets, they wanted to get her off it as they said this could also slow the gut down. Have you heard this before or do you still think I should try to get some?

I would want my Rabbit to have pain relief

I would want my Rabbit to have pain relief

Me too. If they are in pain they really aren't going to want to eat. I would ring the vets today (it will be emergency) and see if they will let you pick up some painkillers without an appointment (some will, some won't) TBH it sounds like they need another appointment anyway - perhaps there is a different vet you can try at the practise who might be more rabbit savvy? I would try to get one first thing Tuesday. If they go downhill in the meantime obviously need to be seen by an emergency vet.

Thanks for your advice. She is eating small amounts of greens and some hay, but not as much as she should. Don't get me wrong she is much improved from when she was hospitalised but just not right. I will continue to monitor and call the vets later for pain relief. I do have an appointment for Tuesday but will go earlier if needed.

Back