• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argh - Wasps!

Joh619

Alpha Buck
I bring the bunnies inside for the winter, and usually put them back out at the beginning of April, but it's been so wet and horrible my garden is like a swamp, so they're still inside.

Looks like a nice day today though so I thought I'd put them out, at least for a bit. But OH just went to have a look at the hutch and it looks like there's a start of a wasps nest in there :(

Obviously we need to get rid of it, but does anyone have any bunny friendly methods? (Or do I just tell OH that now is the perfect time to get that playhouse I wanted? ;))

Playhouse! Tell him we said you need to scrap the hutch now... Lol

But on a serious note I have no idea! Don't you just bin the nest and wash the hutch? Don't know much about wasps nests!

Yep defo playhouse!

I remember my dad knocking a small wasps nest off of the house when I was a kid, if I were you I'd shut all the windows on that side of the house, knock the nest off with the end of a broom handle then leg it inside and lock yourself in. Leave it a few hours (or til tomorrow) and the wasps should have given up and gone, then the nest can be chucked in the bin and the cage cleaned and made bunny friendly again!

But if it as a mammoth of a nest maybe call in the professionals!

DO NOT SQUIRT IT WITH A HOSE.

My uncle did that...lets just say it didn't turn out well. :lol: :lol:

If there's no wasps around it then it might have been abandoned so you can just knock it off and bin and hopefully they won't try to make another. :thumb:

Thanks for the suggestions. We went for the "knock it off and run away" method, which seemed to work quite well.

But then I noticed that B&Q had 20% off yesterday if you spend £100 or more, so I bought the playhouse anyway :thumb: Not that I've got anywhere to put it at the moment, until we get more paving put in the garden...but it's a start at least and it saved me £34.

Back