• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Speying and Neutering

Dana_leigh

New Kit
Hi sorry if this has been asked before but I'm gonna ask again :)

I have two bonded bunnies (I hope) one a 10 week old buck and a 9 week old Doe
The bucks testicles have fully dropped and I'm going to ring to get his neutered asap, but what about the Doe?
Will the pair un-bond after the buck has been away? Will it be dangerous for him to recover with her about? They have a 2Tier hutch but ive read he shouldnt be jumping about for a few days afterwards, so no going upstairs....but the top tier and bottom tier are not equal sizes so can't keep the doe up there, it would be unfair?
If i put him upstairs and shut her out will that un-bond them?
Is it possible to get them both sorted in the same day to allow for recovery together?

Thanks for any help!

The Buck can be neutered now as long as your Vet is happy with his general health

The Doe is too young to be spayed, she needs to be about 5 months old before this is done.

Whether they remain together or if you have to separate them for a short time and rebond them at a later date will depend on their specific behaviour with each other. Whilst it is possible for a Buck to remain fertile for several weeks after neutering the chances of him impregnating such a young Doe are minimal, as her risk of conception increases as she reaches puberty, by then the Buck is unlikely to have any viable sperm remaining. But there is an outside chance that it could happen

I would discuss all options in full with your Vet. After surgery your Buck will need to be prevented from over exertion for a few days so temporary alternative accommodation is something else you need to consider.

Good Luck

Ok thanks that's great. I'm making him an appt asap as his testicles are fully dropped and will discuss it. As there are so small and their hutch is big at the moment they should be fine just on the downstairs level :)

Thanks

Back