• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit safe climbing plants

yamazumi

Warren Scout
I want to grow something up the wall dividing my garden and my neighbours, I plan on attaching the plant quite high up the wall so Chaplin can't get to it, but if it grows downwards by any chance it obviously has to be safe if she has a nibble.

I'm pretty sure Jasmine is safe, but can't find much info on others.

I know clematis isn't, and honeysuckle, and obviously poison ivy.

Seen conflicting ideas on bindweed (although I'm not sure if that actually climbs as opposed to growing over hedges and such).

Does anyone know anything about Virginia creeper or know of any other climbing plants that would be safe?

How big a space? A biggish climber will probably want a bit more root space than a wall basket. How about something like a grape vine? You could put protection around the trunk and then spread the branches out sideways above bunny height. They don't have very impressive flowers but a good show of bright green leaves and they grow quick, plus you can eat the grapes.

You can also train apples or pears against a wall - again protect the trunk then have the branches sideways above bunny height.

Back