• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating, weird feeling tummy, any advice please!!!!

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Harvey's not eating :(

He last ate at 6 (that I know of when I gave them hay and he was munching down as much as possible. He got quite sleepy after munching all his hay but I just assumed he'd tired himself out.

He's refusing all food now even carrot and parsley :(

I felt his stomach and there's a hard lump/ball below his sternum where his stomach is so I'm assuming this is his stomach. Rest of his abdomen is nice and squishy.

I have Zantac with his correct dose that the vet gave me last time. Is this gut stimulant? If so is it safe to give if a gut obstruction has not been ruled out? I am worried there is an obstruction after his stomach as his stomach is rock hard.

He's still got energy, he tried to run away from me and explore the garden! But now he's inside he just wants to snuggle up with me and lay down. I also have critical care but without knowing if there's an obstruction I'm worried about giving it :?

He looks so miserable! :(

Just to say I'm no vet so the hard lump could just be the end of his sternum (ziphoid process) but as I don't know if they're supposed to be quite as big as harvey's I can't say it's not his stomach!

I wouldn't give anything without seeing a vet first. I'm pretty sure Zantac is a gut stimulant so if there is an obstruction it could make it worse.

Well just got off of the phone with vet nurse and she said don't give Zantac without seeing vet, give critical care though but only if it doesn't cause him too much stress. She says to keep him warm and monitor him to check for pops and eating and keep feeling his tum. She says it sounds like it's REALLY early gut stasis and if in the morning there's no change take him to vets and if over night there's a decline take him to vets.

At the mo he still has some energy for exploring, but is quite tired and keeps flopping out :( still no eating and no poos :( Lilly is incredibly excited by exploring the new room :rolls: and is eating all harvey's treats :evil: I don't think she does sympathy for poor Harvey :p

His stomach feels less ball-like and firm now at least but he still looks miserable :(

Does anyone gave any advice on how often I should attempt to syringe feed? Is it once per hour/half hour or just as often as possible whilst not stressing the bun out too much?

He can't get comfy poor baby :( is just laying form getting up, rearranging hay laying down getting up, running to a different corner to lay in then doing it all again :(

As he hasn't seen a vet to rule out an obstruction, I'd personally be reluctant to syringe feed him but I would try to keep encouraging him to eat for himself. Is he drinking?

As he hasn't seen a vet to rule out an obstruction, I'd personally be reluctant to syringe feed him but I would try to keep encouraging him to eat for himself. Is he drinking?

Nope :( he's just sat looking miserable and uncomfortable :( he's just trying to get anywhere dark and burying his head :( he refuses to be syringe fed anyway, he licked a bit off of my skin but then didn't the second time (this is the way I got him to start eating again after last time). I've tried tummy massages as that's worked previously but it doesn't seem to be this time :(

I would personally want him to see a vet tonight. Bunnies can go downhill so quickly there is always the danger that tomorrow will be to late. At the very least he needs pain relief, warmth and fluids but he really needs to see a vet to rule out an obstruction before you syringe anything xx

Had a listen to his little belly (literally pressed my ear to it) and heard 3 tiny far apart gurgling noises so I'm hoping that means either his gut is now moving or if it's gas it's gurgling it's way through his system to the exit. Fingers crossed, he still looks miserable for the time being :( at least what ever he's got he hasn't passed to Lilly, she's been binkying all over the place oblivious to Harvey's pain :roll:

I would personally want him to see a vet tonight. Bunnies can go downhill so quickly there is always the danger that tomorrow will be to late. At the very least he needs pain relief, warmth and fluids but he really needs to see a vet to rule out an obstruction before you syringe anything xx

Yeh I really want to take him to the vets but I have no car and a taxi at this time to where the emergency vets is would be over £20 each way and I don't have that :? Plus I don't know of any taxi companies that would allow pets :? Really concerned :(

I can only echo this - he needs to see a vet tonight IMO. It sounds urgent.

Isn't there anyone you could ask for a lift? I know it's a lot to ask at this time of night but you could always buy them something to say thanks later xx

Isn't there anyone you could ask for a lift? I know it's a lot to ask at this time of night but you could always buy them something to say thanks later xx

Nope :( I'm going to see if I can find a nearer emergency vets because my normal vets is 5 mins away but the emergency clinic for it is 25mins away :? Just going to have to call every taxi firm in Bristol! :(

I agree with everyones advice to see a vet asap, he really needs checking over and pain relief, if he is in pain there is no way he will eat:(

Ok I've spoken to a vet now. He said it's unlikely to be a blockage especially as his abdomen is very squishy and not firm (the firmness I mentioned earlier in his stomach had also gone) and that if I brought him in they'd just be giving him Zantac so I should give it to him at home and see how he goes. Also the vet said out of hours fees are £195 :shock: I know insurance would probs cover but I don't even have that much to pay up front anyway!!!

Well the Zantac went down ok, just waiting and listening now. Last time he had Zantac there were many smelly bunny farts (and a very uncomfortable looking Harvey) but after that he felt better and began to eat so fingers crossed it'll be the same this time. I'm going to an hour of sleep now then tempt him with parsley at 2am feel so sorry for him :(

Did the vet not mention pain relief?

No but when I went to the vets last time they said the vial of meds they gave me was pain relief + gut stimulant but it's just labelled Zantac? Maybe Zantac does both? Not sure. He said bring him in first thing in the morning if he still hadn't eaten, but tbh if I brought him in now all they'd be doing is giving him the same meds I have given him and monitoring him for eating and trying to get critical care in him, all of which I'm doing, the only things they said they'd do extra of I brought him in is give him fluids and another form of pain relief, but he's not dehydrated at the mo anyway and the Zantac may help with pain???

Well someone is feeling better.

1am Zantac
230am critical care
245-345am gradual increase in him moving about
345am- still refusing parsley but at least acknowledging its presence
350am- he started playing the jump on mummy game and ate lots of parsley
4am- extreme excited exploration occurring
410am- munching on hay
415am- massive binky
420am- first drink in up to 10 hours!!

He may be feeling better but I feel awful for staying up all night on a sofa with him! And now he's better he keeps jumping on me and won't let me sleep! :roll:

Thanks for the advice to see the vet, I'm glad I called as I was nervous to give him his medication without vet approval so it was definitely useful having reassurance from him! I'm going to keep monitoring Harvey to make sure he keeps improving :) can't work out what went wrong, the only thing I introduced recently was some straw I put in yday which Harvey has had many times before and noms it all up despite it being bedding, he hasn't had it since jan though so maybe it was a shock to his system? Or he ate it INSTEAD of his hay rather than as well as? All the straw did disappear in a few hours yday!

He's a happy bunny now :)

Just thought I'd say he's back to his cheeky self, he bounded over to me this morning to kiss my knees (maybe in apology for keeping me up all night) :love:

First poo occurred sometime this morning, and it revealed the culprit of his sore tummy, there were 6 wetter-than-usual poos all strung together by HAIR!!!! He's booked in for a cuddle and groom with me later after I've had some sleep! He is moulting particularly lots at the mo :(

Back