• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating - advice please - update

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
Hello,

My mini lop has not beenn eating very much since first thing this morning - he's had a couple of dandelion leaves and a bit of grass. Took him to vet this morning who gave him an injection and some stuff for us to syringe feed him.

It's now almost eight and he seems no better - the syringe stuff is very difficult to get in him, he seems to store it in his mouth and spits it out afterwards. I've just syringe fed him a little baby food.

Vet said to take him back tomorrow but I'm still really worried.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried all his favourite foods but can't seem to tempt - he's a bit quieter than normal but not overly so.

Any help please xx :cry:

Last edited:
My girls occasionally don't eat any hay for 24 hours or so, but then demolish everything in sight afterwards. However, the slight difference is that they have eaten their breakfast, greens and treats that I have given them; they've only not touched their hay.

Have you tried him with his favourite foods like pellet/cereal food, treats and stuff? If he's not eating those then yes, I would be worried, sorry.

I hope he's okay and the vet can sort him out.

He's pooed a very small amount and they're a lot smaller than usual.

I don't know if he's drunk much but his litter tray is wet.

The vet gave me fibreplex.

Any advice appreciated.

At the moment, he's sitting cleaning himself as normal, he just doesn't want to eat.

I meant what was the injection, was it pain relief ? This would be an essential

Did the Vet check your Rabbit's teeth ?

Sorry, I think it was some kind of anti inflammatory - he's had similar before and it's done the trick. She checked his teeth and although they are a bit long, she said they weren't causing the problem. He's going to have them checked again when he's better.

Just syringe fed him water, but I'm concerned that this is stressing him.

Did the Vet examine his abdomen and did she comment on any findings ?

Can you contact the Vet again this evening to obtain some more advice ? Your Rabbit may require additional medication if he has not improved at all by now.

She gave him a full check, felt his tummy, took his temperature, etc and she said everything was as it should be. I've just given him some more baby food, is this ok do you think?

You need to keep his guts moving so feeding him at intervals is a good idea. Small poos usually point to stasis. It would be good to know if the injection was a gut stimulant, but did the vet check his teeth at all?

Yes she checked his teeth, a bit long but she said it was unlikely they would be causing any issues at this stage. She said to have them checked once he's better.

No, haven't spoken with vet since thie morning, still hasn't eaten anything other than whay we've syringed into him but he has just done some poos which looked almost normal.

Vet said this a.m. to bring him back tomorrow if no better. Should I contact them again this evening?

Can you have a look at the invoice from the vet to see what injection your rabbit was given? Weird that it was just one, I would expect one of metacam and one of a gut stimulant.

I would ring the vet, they should have either one of their own vets on call available to talk to, or an emergency vet you can call.

Has ya bunny started eating anything like pellets or hay or any of his favourite treats has he been drinking if he/ she hasn't eaten or drunk since this morning I would ring the vet up tonight

No, haven't spoken with vet since thie morning, still hasn't eaten anything other than whay we've syringed into him but he has just done some poos which looked almost normal.

Vet said this a.m. to bring him back tomorrow if no better. Should I contact them again this evening?

It would be a good idea to do so, yes. Even if it is just to obtain advice over the phone.

To me it sounds as though it is his teeth that are the problem.

Just read the thread again and confused, are you syringe feeding him recovery food (like Supreme Recovery or Oxbow Critical Care) as well as the fibreplex, or just fibreplex?

Sorry to confuse, I know I'm waffling!

Just spoken to on call vet, she suggested continuing with the baby food by syringe every hour or so to keep him hydrated, and to take him back in the morning if no better.

We've been giving him baby food by syringe and also the fibreplex that the vet gave us this morning.

Will ring vet again later if need me.

Well after a sleepless night and more syringe feeding, we were back at the vet this morning. A different vet examined him today, still no temperature or bloating. She checked his teeth again and advised an emergency dental, so we left him there.

I have fretted about him all day but called at 5 to check and the procedure had been successful but he wasn't eating. Just been to visit him with his favourite foods so hopefully this will tempt him. The nurse is on hand all night and will syringe feed every two hours until he starts eating independently.

Fingers crossed he'll back to his old self tomorrow - I'm missing him so much :cry:

Thanks for reading

The problem has been identified and sorted, you did the right thing, and hopefully now he'll start to eat. I assume he has had metacam after the dental? Hope he starts eating soon :wave:

Back