• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To syringe feed or not?

Georgi

Young Bun
Cello went in for a dental today as she wasn't keen on eating her pellets and the vet could see a few spurs. She's been eating a bit of hay and some dandelions since she came back but wasn't that interested in the softened pellets I offered her so I'm not sure if she needs to be syringe fed or not :? She resented it a lot when I had to syringe feed her on Monday when she was in stasis as she's still a bit nervous and doesn't like being handled. I'd rather not stress her out by syringe feeding if I don't need to but obviously I don't want her going hungry and her guts to slow down.
It's also pretty difficult to leave tasty foods like veg in for her as Buzz is a massive pig and eats it all (he gave himself caecal dysbiosis on Monday from eating too much :roll: ) but Cello doesn't particularly like eating if he's not there which is a pain.

So anyone have any advice as to whether I should still syringe feed her or not? Oh I also have to syringe her some fibreplex this evening so I guess I could give her that and a feed at the same time?

Could you hand feed her dandelion leaves? and maybe give him the odd bit of something that doesn't upset his belly?

I had a similar situation recently and also ended up with totally manky dysbiosis everywhere, it was revolting. I ended up placing a heap on stuff in front of him, and then distracting his two bonded friends. Yes, I felt bad but I wasn't sure what else to do.

Thanks Sky-O I managed to distract him for a bit with a pile of hay and gave her some more dandelion leaves then took him downstairs for a little bit so she could eat some veg etc. She ate a bit and then when I put him back she decided to try out the softened pellets so I think she'll be ok for feeding, now I just have to give her the fibreplex. She's been eating a fair amount of hay as well so I'm a very happy bunny mummy :)
So glad I got her teeth done today instead of leaving it til Tuesday! :D

Back