• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy has had x-ray, tests...*UPDATE 11/05 (test results back)

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
:cry:

Well as some of you may know Flopsy had to have a dental on Monday 30th April..... The op went well but was a struggle to get him to eat, we managed to get him to eat but then on Wednesday 2nd He was obviously in a lot of pain and not eating so we took him back to the vets and the vet checked his organs and they were all fine but his gut did not sound great, so they gave him a Metacam pain relief injection and a Gut stimulant... and sent us home with a bottle of metacam to give to him ounce a day (0.5ml) He just does not seem right..... yesterday he was not too bad but this morning he would not eat so gave him some metacam and he did eat some pellets after that...... I think there is an underlying problem sadly :cry:

We are going to the vets on Tuesday and of course if he deteriorates over the weekend we will go to emergency vets.... :cry:

what could be wrong ? :cry:

Last edited:
Aww sorry to hear flopsy still not too good , is he pooin and weein ok , I can't really help much sorry someone will be able to help you when they see your thread, sending loads a get well vibes over for Flopsy and sending you lots of these

188dd5d4.jpg

Aww sorry to hear flopsy still not too good , is he pooin and weein ok , I can't really help much sorry someone will be able to help you when they see your thread, sending loads a get well vibes over for Flopsy and sending you lots of these

Thank you , he is weeng and pooing but his poo's are quite big , dark and gooey obviously because of the medications . :cry:

Is he eating and drinking anything at all??

The meds may just be kick starting his gut, thats why all is gloopy??

He may well have a sore bit currently.This was the same with my mate Julie and her bun.
Keep giving the meds,and keep offering tasty morsels....all his faves.
You might have to syringe some water if its not enough that hes drinking.

Keep a really good eye.It sounds to me like its all coming.......

He may well have a sore bit currently.This was the same with my mate Julie and her bun.
Keep giving the meds,and keep offering tasty morsels....all his faves.
You might have to syringe some water if its not enough that hes drinking.

Keep a really good eye.It sounds to me like its all coming.......

Thank you, I will make sure we syringe him fluids and offer his faves to keep his gut moving

I'm sorry Flopsy still isn't 100%. :(:(

Did he have any pain relief when he first came home? It may just be that his teeth were still a bit sore after the dental, putting him off his food and his guts have slowed down a little.

How much does Flopsy weigh? It could also be the case that he could do with a higher dose of metacam if he isn't coping with the pain; you would need to speak to the vet to check it's ok to increase the dose though.

Dentals can be very sore for about a week after. If you didn't have painkillers to take home that might be why he didn't want to eat. Now you do he should pick up over the next few days. Try soaking his pellets in water for a few minutes so they're softer and see if he eats more of them. :)

thank you all :love:

Phoned the emergency vets and we can give him a higher dose of metacam and if he is not better tomorrow lunch them to take him in... £130 for just a consultation.... omg

If he's eating drinking pooing and weein the medication might be kicking in now so he will probably feel better when his gut gets goin properly bless him :love:

I'm glad he's eaten something. Hopefully he just needed the extra pain relief and he'll carry on nomming now. Let us know how he is tomorrow, you're doing a great job. xx

I'm glad he's eaten something. Hopefully he just needed the extra pain relief and he'll carry on nomming now. Let us know how he is tomorrow, you're doing a great job. xx

Just got back meal out. went to check on buns and give pellets flopsy is back to normal running about and diving onto his food , hooray!! :D

Back