• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise please post op

Bunsterz

Warren Scout
My rabbit had his toe amputated on thursday and he is doing really well, i took him with me to work with me (i work at vets as nurse) the next day so i could keep an eye on him and make sure all ok etc, the only issues we are having are bandage care, he is having to wear a buster collar which believe me i know isnt ideal but we have tried a sock over the bandage etc and he spends the whole time trying to chew the sock/bandage off and had made several holes in the bandage so i had to re-do it, he isnt bothered in the slighest about the collar and is eating really well etc im just concerned he cant get to his caecatrophs, i have tried giving them to him (gross i know but necessary) but he isnt interested, does anyone have any ideas? :)

Hhhm, I haven't had that problem- my rabbits will even try to steal each others ceacotrophs :mrgreen:

I guess you could try mixing with a bit of warm water and syringing them in? I know rabbits normally swallow them whole without chewing though so I'm not sure whether they would object to that. If so you could add some pellet mush to disguise the taste xx

Has he had pain relief? I'm wondering if some discomfort in his foot is making him want to chew the bandage perhaps. (Or he could just be a naughty monkey who would chew it anyway!)

Hi, he is on high dose metacam and had vetergesic :( think i may take him into work today, im trying to change his bandage with no luck whatsoever and he will end up hurting himself :(

Back