• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Olbas oil/scented candles/deodorant/perfume - bad?

nessar

Warren Veteran
The vet asked me earlier if I used any sprays around the rabbits when we were talking about their snuffles. I said no thinking of air freshener, but later I was thinking and realised that yes, in fact I do use deodorant and perfume around them as they are in my bedroom. I then realised that I also use olbas oil sometimes at night on my pillow and very occasionally have used scented candles.

I cant believe I've been so stupid, I've read on here before not to use olbas oil for rabbits and it didnt twig that I couldnt use it for myself too, and I just havent been thinking...

So I guess the question is: Are these bad, and if so why?

I guess they would be irritants and would perhaps irritate the nasal passages? Some scents trigger sneezes in me so I guess it would be similar?

It is something I try to limit where possible. The only thing would be occasional perfume which I try to use in the bathroom and polish in the lionheads room which I spray direct to a duster to limit how much goes into the air. Not much to dust in the other room! I use a pitrok deodorant which has no scent and don't ever use candles or air freshener, I tend to just open a window.

And dry shampoo.

My friend once stayed over to look after the animals and used it in my room. I went a little berserk. :oops:

I've moved all my make me smell nice to the bathroom.

Hmm yes I think I'm going to move all deodrant/perfume etc to the bathroom and also not have B in there anywhere near the time I spray it. B eats his dinner in there whilst I shower, you see, as he is fed differently to Anna. Come to think of it, would the 'Duck' gel thing (this: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255768403 ) cause a problem? It smells a fair bit.

Is olbas oil bad then yeah? I'm not imagining that? I pretty much have a constant cold/sniffles (like owner like bunny :roll: ) so I'll have to look for safe alternatives.

Yes, and scented candles are the worst because you are burning and vapourising the hydrocarbons - these things are bad for our and our rabbits lungs. :wave:

I studied aromatherapy years ago & still recall a discussion in class one day about Olbas Oil.
Its very concentrated when used neat...which is what many/most people do.
Usually essential oils are diluted for safe use.
It contains among others cajuput & clove oils which are more allergenic than some of the other essential oils.
I'd hazard a guess that these two ingredients wold be fairly inflammatory to the respiratory system of a bun.

Back