• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seperation dilema

murrimint

Warren Scout
hi all.:wave:
I really need some advice on weather this is the right decision to make. My bonded pair (neutered buck and doe) have always tolerated each other rather than been loved up but they both seemed fine with this arrangement and happy in themselves. however recently the buck(bo) who has always been the more placid seems to be getting terribly bullied by his wifey bun. Every day she chases him and pulls fur although they have been bonded for over 3 years now. More worrying is that bo has now pulled most of his own fur out around his belly and legs and im thinking it could be stress related. I really dont want to have to separate them as both their quality of life will suffer i feel(as in space and free range time) but i dont want poor bo to be unhappy. Do you think it would be the best thing to separate them for his sake, or is there anything i can try to ease his stress and stop him self mutilating?
Thanks for any help or advice :D

Have you had them both thoroughly checked by the vets to rule out any health problems/skin problems/underlying pain that may be causing this? When one is under the weather sometimes the other can take advantage of that, and it also isnt unknown for rabbits to 'know' when there is something wrong and react weirdly to their partner because of it. I take it she is spayed?

Could you keep them next to each other so they can smell/see/hear each other through bars, but not get to each other for now, and then let them together when you can supervise for a few hours every night, whilst you figure this out? This was what I had to do recently when one of mine was attacking the other (I kept one in the pen and one out, and swapped them every 12 hours so neither established one area as 'theirs'), luckily after a while like this and removing everything they could possibly get possessive over, it stopped and they are fine now, with just the odd bit of chasing. You could also try using bonding techniques, 'bonding' them as if they are a new pair.

edit: also, I think you have to decide whether, if you did have to split them, could you take on a partner for each as well? If they would have to stay alone if split, then its a more drastic decision to make.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply nessar!
I have had bo to the vets recently due to this problem and he was checked for mites and his given a general health check which showed up nothing. The buns are kept in a 14x5ft dog kennel so if i were to seperate them i dont feel like they would have enough room but i will do it rather than bo being bullied. Its always been a dodgy bond and i had to re-bond them about 2 years ago due to fighting so i dont know if they are 'just not suited', although they do snuggle sometimes. I am just worried that he is suffering because of her dominant nature. (oh and she is neutered) :(

forgot to add that although i know buns should be kept in pairs i already have six and simply dont have the space to give another pair a home i would consider suitable so pips and bo would unfortunatly and regrettfully be alone:cry:

Last edited:
Hmm that is tricky as it would be reducing their space by a lot.

Perhaps put up a barrier down the middle for now, so youre not worrying about them whilst you're figuring this out? You could use a straightened out pen.

Would bonding each into a different existing pair be a possibility, or do you think its best not to rock the boat with your other pairs?

I would try 'bonding' them again when you have a spare couple of days, maybe this bankholiday weekend if youre not working, as you wont lose anything by trying.

Perhaps, as you say, they arent really suited... its difficult isnt it... I guess with them being outdoors its hard to guage their behaviour when you're not around too , I found most of the aggression happened when they were more active at night/early morning. Could you put a camera or webcam or something in there and film them at night? Might give you a better idea of if they ever lie next to each other or eat together or show other signs of companionship when youre not about.

Back