• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting droppings out of lawn

Kateml

New Kit
Please does someone know how to get rabbit droppings out of lawn? We have a big yard and wild bunnies love it. They also love that no one disturbs them there the whole day. Sometimes when I come home there is like 10 of them hopping around. The droppings are all over the yard, I can not go there bare foot or sit down on the lawn, because I would be sitting on rabbit droppings. My dog likes to eat them, and it gets him in a trouble (he gets parasites from it), he also likes to roll in the grass and sometimes he brings the droppings with him in the house, either in his fur or he has them stuck under his lips.
Some people mentioned a bamboo rake, but there are so many kinds - can anybody suggest which one works the best? I also read about garden hoovers. Please someone help, the droppings drive me crazy.

Last edited:
I am afraid I have no idea. I struggle getting small amounts lifted from my own rabbits lifted using a hand brush and shovel. It sounds like your problem is fairly major and something like a garden vac would be the way forward.

Thinking about this a garden vac may not be the best as imo they are rotten. I would recommend a cheap bagless vacuum, the actual ones that you use for insdie the house, thats what I use in my garden on the decking and it pics up little stones, so it would pick up poos :)

Thank you for the advice. I will try the vacuum. I wish someone would advise regarding the bamboo rake, that might work too. But I have no idea where to get them.

The only thing I know that's good for getting them up is cutting the grass with a lawnmower. Unfortunately no matter how/when I sweep the lawn with any kind of brush it never gets them all up! I have a bamboo rake and it doesn't get them all up. Especially when it's wet...

How long do you keep your grass? Do they like it because it's quite long and lush? (Not to be rude!) If so, you could leave a certain part of the lawn longer and a certain amount short for 'your' use. The wild buns should theoretically stay in the longer grass as it's more food and more shelter. That might work?

How about a non electric lawnmower? Like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qualcast-Panther-Powered-Cylinder-Lawnmower/dp/B00027YJAI. Or a normal lawnmower and give it a mow whenever you want to sit out there (although that must be so annoying!)

I'll have a think of what else might help!

EDIT: motion-activated water sprinkler in one area of the lawn? after a while they'll learn to keep away from that bit and the sprinkler won't be going off all the time so the lawn won't be constantly wet. with some time you'll have an area which the bunnies avoid? people have reported a motion sensor light keeps the bunnies away at night, so you could get one of those aimed on that patch of grass for nighttime? to further reinforce the separate areas, sprinkle anti-rabbit stuff along the borders to your area.

Last edited:
Back