• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timmy Off His Hay

twobunnies&apony

Alpha Buck
Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on why a bun may go off their hay? Obviously I know teeth is probably the number one reason but what other causes might there be? Timmy had his teeth checked etc recently. I know bun's teeth grow constantly etc but what else might it be? I have a funny feeling he went off hay this time last year. It may sound daft but can seasonal changes affect a bun's eating? Or any other thoughts? He is eating pellets and veg and will eat a few strands of hay but then loses interest. I will ring vet tomorrow and get him booked in but any other ideas gratefully received.:idea:

Have you recently changed the hay?
If its a seasonal thing it may be something to do with moulting? Just a thought.
Hope Timmy feels better soon!

Have you recently changed the hay?
If its a seasonal thing it may be something to do with moulting? Just a thought.
Hope Timmy feels better soon!

Sorry for hijacking thread :oops: But I'm having the same problem with my Boris, he hasn't gone completely off it but he doesn't eat as much as he would normally. I put it down to him still being poorly with snuffles (tends to affect his appetite and sense of smell) but he IS also moulting, why would that cause them to go off their hay? Sorry if I sound really thick :oops::lol:

Sorry for hijacking thread :oops: But I'm having the same problem with my Boris, he hasn't gone completely off it but he doesn't eat as much as he would normally. I put it down to him still being poorly with snuffles (tends to affect his appetite and sense of smell) but he IS also moulting, why would that cause them to go off their hay? Sorry if I sound really thick :oops::lol:

When they are moulting they tend to ingest more hair when they are grooming and so it can affect their nomming. It can make them a little uncomfortable etc, hence change in eating habbits.
Blooming rabbits! :lol:

When they are moulting they tend to ingest more hair when they are grooming and so it can affect their nomming. It can make them a little uncomfortable etc, hence change in eating habbits.
Blooming rabbits! :lol:

Oooh......stupidly enough I didn't think of this. Maybe that's why Boris is less keen on eating hay all of a sudden, he's moulting quite heavily atm.

If it is moulting is there anything I can do?

If they will let you, try to groom them as much as you can, especially when heavily moulting. Either with your hand, a brush or a grooming mitt.
For buns in the past who haven't let me groom them (mine are now indoors so minimal moulting) I have taken the head off of a broom and tied it upright to the side of the cage. It means they can have a good scratch and it gets some of the loose hair out. You just have to keep removing the excess hair from the broom head until they have finished moulting.
Hope this helps!

Back